Lunch With Dallon

“Brendon, are you dating anyone?”

My heart started racing and my palms got sweaty and I suddenly found the salt and pepper shakers very interesting. I was going to tell Ryan that I wanted to be in a serious relationship today, but he’s not at school, so...

“N-Not exclusively,” I looked back up at Dallon. He took a breath to say something, but Chris came with our food.

“Alright, we’ve got two of the same thing, so who wants which one?” Chris asked, moving the plates around. “Nobody? OK, you’re getting these.” He went to place the plates in front of us, but changed at the last minute. “Ah, tricked ya!”

“Can I get you lads anything else?” Chris said, putting his hands together.

“Yeah,” I said. “Can I have a beer?”

“Can I see your I.D?” Chris held his hand out. I looked down.

“I don’t actually have my I.D with me right now, so...” I shrugged my shoulders.

“No I.D; no beer,” Chris mimicked my tone of voice and my shrugging of the shoulders. “Anything else?”

“Yeah. Can I have some ketchup for my fries?” I asked. “Or do I need an I.D for that, too?” I placed my hand on my chest.

“Not that I know of,” he said. “I’ll be right back with your ketchup.” And he walked off. We sat in silence until Chris came back with the ketchup. “Can I get you guys anything else?”

“Nah. I think we’re good,” Dallon said. Chris walked off and we were silent again, except for my exceptionally loud chewing.

“You made a good choice, my friend,” I said with a mouth full of food. “I didn’t even look at the menu, but this—” I gestured to the burger in my hand “—is the best.”

“Well, I’m glad you like it,” he said. “Because I don’t like anything on mine.” He chuckled a bit, eating a fry.

“Then you can have my fries and I’ll take your burger,” I chuckled.

“Deal,” he slid his plate across the table. We ate in a comfortable silence until we both finished.

“So,” I picked up my glass of water. “What—” I was interrupted by an alarm. Dallon pulled out his phone and silenced the alarm.

“And that’s my 15 minute alarm to remind us that we need to be getting back,” he put his phone back in his pocket, looking around for Chris. I guess he found him, ‘cause he waved him over.

“What can I get for you?” Chris asked.

“Can we have the check, please?” Dallon said.

“I actually happen to have it right here for you guys,” Chris pulled the check out of one of the apron pockets. Dallon took the check and Chris left. Dallon filled out the stuff on the thing and we waited for Chris to come back.

“This is really random, but what made you want to become a teacher?” I asked.

“Well,” he was quiet for a few seconds. “To encourage a better tomorrow for kids.” He paused. “And think about all the vacation time you get; summers off, all the breaks the kids get and you get off at three.”

“Wow. I never thought of that,” I chuckled. Chris then walked back.

“Are you ready for me to take this?” he asked, pointing to the check.

“Uhm, yes,” Dallon answered, taking another sip of his beer. Chris took the check and walked off again. Dallon and I sat in silence until Chris came back.

“You lads have a nice day,” Chris smiled before walking away again. Dallon took all the things he had to from the check and we left, going back to his car.

We rode in silence, apart from the faint Beyoncé playing, until we got back to the school.

“Thanks for buying lunch,” I said as we walked to the front doors.

“No problem. We should do this again sometime,” he smiled. “See you in music.” He walked into the school. I sat outside for a bit until I heard the bell ring. I walked into the school towards Biology, and was strangely excited for music.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry this chapter is a little short :c next chapter up Tuesday

gif to the right is Dallon