Chapter 1

This is my very first attempt at writing so please, please, please if you like it fan or vote, and even if you don't like it please leave feedback whether it be good or bad, thanks.

I am English and there are many words which are spelt differently depending on which side of the Atlantic you live on, so please, please, please bear with me, thanks xxx

******************************************************************************************************

The train slowed and signs for Wrexham station ambled past the grim, dingy windows with ever decreasing frequency. It was the end of the line and the train emptied quickly. The second I stepped onto the platform I could hear Katie.

"Alex, Alex", I turned to follow the sound of my name and Katie was bounding towards me, her arms outstretched wide ready for our inevitable embrace. I wondered for a second if we looked like a gender confused scene from an old black and white movie, were the hero comes home after being away for years fighting in some God awful war and his wife/girlfriend sees him and they run to each other. As I looked again at Katie I remembered how much bigger than me she was, at least 6 inches, and my 50's film reunion was quickly replaced with visions of us colliding and her sending me sprawling backwards, probably over a small child in a pram or a pensioner, across the platform floor.

Luckily the exertion of the run down platform 2 had lessened her pace and by the time she reached me it was barely more than a brisk jog. Once in reach she threw her arms around me, squealing excitedly in my ears about how great it was to see me and how much of a great time we were going to have. It wasn't until I recognised my own voice in the melee that I even realised we'd both been caught up in the moment, hugging each other, telling each other how much one had missed the other and generally laughing and giggling like young children.

Looking at her, she was smiling and she was so glad to see me and knowing I felt exactly the same way, realising how much I had missed my friend, the same friend I'd waved goodbye to only two months ago, the same friend who I'd worried had changed. Stood here laughing and bobbing up and down over excitedly like teenage girls the world over, I knew my fretting had been silly, she was still my Katie.

She took one of my bags and we started the short walk back to the campus.

"Everyone is so looking forward to meeting you, you've got your own room you don't have to share with me, we're going to a party tonight, and you did remember your swimming costume didn't you? Oh, it's so great to see you again." Her words tumbled out in a rush, unable to keep up with the one way conversation I looked at her and started laughing.

Laughing back she said "Ok, ok I'll slow down, I'm sorry, I'm just so happy you're here, ok" and breathing heavily and slowly, as if trying to order her jumbled thoughts into coherent speech she began again,

"Firstly, when we get to the halls I will show you to your room, it's in the same dorm as mine just down the other end of the corridor," she went onto explain the room had actually belonged to a girl called Anna, her and her long term boyfriend had come to the university together at the start of the year, but after just two weeks she had decided the student life wasn't for her, well it was either that or finding her boyfriend in bed with a second year, and she had promptly packed her bags and left that night. Her parents had paid for the room for the year and as the university had a no returns policy the room had been empty ever since.