Chapter 8 - Maine

Kelli's POV
__________

Homecoming was around the corner. My mother and I were going dress shopping and came across this purple dress. This one was strapless and had rhinestones around the waist. The shirt started as purple and gradually got lighter until it was white at the end. "This one is beautiful." I said. "I had a feeling you'd come across that." My mother said. "Well, might as well get a dress now than a week before." I said. "I won't have to worry about it this weekend when I run the 5k in Maine." She laughed. "Alright." She said. "I guess you won't bug me anymore." "Yup." I said.

We bought the dress and shoes and ended up home. I knew what I wanted to wear with the dress. My tuning fork necklace and earrings I made. The earrings had a clear bead which caught light from all directions. I knew there was no full moon on the night of homecoming. I knew I'd be alright.

.....

Rachel's POV
______________

I called up Kelli to see what her weekend plans are. I dialed and waited for her to pick up. I then heard the phone pick up. "Hey, kid." She said. "Good to hear from you. What's going on? You good?" "I'm doing great, thanks for asking." I said. "How's Middleboro High School?" "I freaking love it, Rachel." She said. "And a junior asked me out. I got my homecoming dress ready. I'm wearing silver flats, clear dangle earrings, and my trademark necklace."

"Why didn't you say tuning fork?" I asked. "I'm still at the mall, Rachel." She said. "I don't want anyone to find out by phone call." "What do you mean find out by phone call?" A male voice asked on the other line. He sounded familiar. "Jason?" Kelli asked. "Um duh!" He said. "Hold on a minute." Kelli said. "I'm talking to Rachel." "Oh hi Rachel." He said. " Hey, May I talk to Kelli for a minute and you can have her back." I said. "Sure thing." He said.

"So, Kelli." I said. "Do you have any plans for the weekend?" "Oh." Kelli said. "I'm going to be in Maine and I won't get home until Saturday night. I'll call you when I get home and we could go for a run. We'll see." "Alright." I said. "I'll see what I can do. If not, Sunday run." "Good plan B." She said. "Well, got to go." I said. "My mother's calling me for dinner." "Alright, bye cuz." She said. "Bye cuz." I said, before hanging up.

......

Kelli's POV
___________

It was truly a surprise seeing Jason around. "So, How's the new school?" He asked. He hugged me like I was his sister. "Best decision ever made." I said. "A junior asked me out and we are going to homecoming together." "Already?" He said. "Damn girl. You're already getting the guys." "And it's only a month after school started." I said.

"So, may I see your dress?" He asked. "Sure." I said. I took it out of the bag by the hanger. "Oh my dear God." He said. "He's gonna fall head over heels for you in that dress. And with a junior, damn girl. How did you guys meet?" "We both sing." I said. "Perfect match right freaking there." Jason said. "So, what are you doing this weekend?"

"I'm gonna be in the ChrisK 5k." I said. "For the third time. I hope I get first in my age group again." "Kelli Silvers!" Jason said. "You will win. Alright? I believe in you. All of us do." "Thanks, kid." I said hugging him. "You've always been a good friend." "Well, what can I say?" He said. "Oh and happy belated birthday."

..time skip...

*Friday October 2nd 1:45 p.m.*

"And have a great weekend." Mr. Atwood said. "You can talk quietly." I waited for the bell to ring. However, Elizabeth wasn't talking to me. I decided to ignore it as the bell rang. There was Brian at the door. "I'm so excited." I said. "You'll do great." Brian said. "I believe in you, Kelli." He kissed my head.

I slung my backpack over my shoulders and we walked to the parking lot and he caught his bus. "Good luck." He said. I blushed as my father picked me up to go to Maine. We were officially on our way to Penobscot, Maine.