Chapter 19 - Spirited

Kelli's POV
___________

It was Friday. Great. I have to do this. I texted Erin. Be mindful it was 4 in the morning.

...

Me: Ready?

...

Erin: Yup. Transform now so we don't cause suspicions.

...

Me: Okay. I'll talk to you when we get to school.

...

I put away my phone and put on a pink short sleve shirt, jeans, and brown boots. I zipped up the boots as I looked into the mirror. Clenching my teeth, I morphed into my hybrid form and decided to fix anything that seemed out of the ordinary with makeup. Basically, I put my eyeliner on and used some brown, black, and white for my eyes. I kept going with the same eyeliners to blend in with the fur on my face and neck.

My teeth were so freaking sore, it hurt to brush them with them as canines. I decided to not have breakfast. Then, with fixing my foundation and brushing my hair, I tried not to hit my ears. You know, it's hard to separate my hair from my fur. 

Then, I was suddenly startled from my focus as my phone went off. I managed to scratch my ear with the brush and my claws. The sharp bristles scraping the skin and the claws pierced it as a drop of blood mingled with my grey fur.

"Freaking phone! I swear to God!" I growled.

I looked at the e-mail. It was from Mr. Brannigan. I read it.

...

Morning all,

I cannot wait to announce that there will be a pep rally, honoring our winter sports and in addition there will be a contest for who can pull off their look and stay in character the longest. Each grade will be put to the challenge and two winners from each class will get a prize. Best of luck and feel free to go all out.

Bran

...

Freaking great. I am gonna expose myself and make more freaking enemies. I kicked my bag as my mother walked into the room.

"Kelli!" she whispered. "It's 5:30. How are you already ready?"

"Wolf problems." I said, disgusted.

"What the hell, Kelli. You're gonna expose yourself!"

"It's not gonna matter anymore, mom. It's a day where everyone can 'transform' and I know I might not be the only one to do it."

"But you're gonna hurt yourself."

I held up my tuning fork necklace. "I'll be fine."

"How will you be fine? You have your identity at stake."

"I could use a steak right now." I said, trying to change the subject.

"Just forget it." mom said. "Just let me get ready and I can drive you to school at 6:30. Can you even turn back at this point?"

"It will hurt like a bitch, mom." I said. "So I can't. Suspicions. Remember?"

She sighed and walked away. I just stare in the mirror. Looking back at me were two glowing yellow eyes with black veins in the iris. I looked around the reflection of my fur-covered face and neck. Where my human ears are supposed to be, there was fur covering my skin. It was an improvement since I turned 15. I never really had a wolf form. The other singing wolves from the harvest clan have theirs, but not me. I just hope my mate is another singing wolf...well, if there even is another one out there.