Chapter 12 - unexpected

Kelli's POV
____________

My parents and relatives met me at the finish line. "Did you just finish before this runner?" Meredith asked. "Yea." I said. "It feels pretty good since I beat my previous time by five minutes." "Kelli, do you know what you just did?" My father said. "You beat the best runner and he's not human." "He'll drop it." I said. "I'm only fifteen and I run for a living." Then he came up to us. "Great job, Kelli." He said. "And don't worry about the eyes. Christine is like you too." "Ooh, really?" I asked. "What clan?" "I might not be fully correct, but your grandfather told me, that she's I think part of the lightning clan." "That's the month before mine." I said. "Oh, harvest?" He asked. "No, singing." I said. "My dad is part of the harvest clan. I'm the last in my clan. So I just hang out with the harvest wolves."

"Hey, then stay alive, kid." He said. "I can tell her you won the race." "You can do that?" I asked. "You saw me as I tried to blur past you." He said. "I can talk to her and say hi for you." "Thank you." I said. "That really means a lot." "Anytime, Miss Silvers." He said. We parted as other people were crossing the finish line. A lot of my grandmother's friends crossed and hugged me as soon as they saw me. My grandfather's co-worker greeted me. "How did you do?" She asked. "I beat the runner who usually comes in first." I said, smirking. "He usually wins the whole thing!" "What?" She said. "How?" "I didn't think and just ran." I said.

Later, the sun went down. The awards went well. My aunt announced that I won the whole race. Everyone had surprised looks on their faces. I looked around and I saw someone familiar. He walked out of the crowd and. A beam of light formed in his hand. It was gonna head for me. I saw my dad and aunt evacuate with my family. I was on the stage with two girls and three boys. Soon, the beam of light came our way and it was deflected off of a microphone and hit me making me fly back 3 feet.

My head hit the ground and everything went fuzzy. "Kelli, get up." Meredith said,  shaking me.  She morphed into her vampire form (from her dad's side), picked me up, and teleported us to our family. She was that strong. I could hear what was going on, but my vision was fuzzy. I had my family's scent up my nose so I didn't react as much. "Get her home." Meredith said. "And as quick as possible. That beam was aimed at her for a reason." Then I could pick up a new scent. My nose twitched.

"Just hurry before she turns." Meredith yelled as I heard my parents make room for me in the car. It seemed that she was able to read my mind. (To make it clear, my aunt and father are both singing wolves, but in the harvest clan.) Then, the scent became stronger. "Hurry up." I spat. "I smell someone, and they're looking for a fight." "They're trying." Meredith said. I saw the fuzzy vision turn yellow. 'Shit.' I thought. "Language, Kelli." Meredith said. ' To late.' I thought. I stood up and the yellow light blinded me.  When it died down, I could see clearly,  but I had pinned someone to the wall.  He was in a vampire form of course. "Wait, I know you." I said.

"I thought you'd miss me." He said.  "How's your new high school? You have friends now who accept you for you?" "Yes actually." I said. His expression changed. "What!?" He said.  "You've got to be kidding me." "I'm not kidding." I said. "I feel welcome at my new school.  Best decision of my freaking life." "I thought you were staying." He said.  "Perfect opportunity to help Annabelle." "Nick." I said disgusted. "I'll tell Collin you said hi." He hissed. "No need." I said. "I'm already taken."

"Not for long." He said. "I'll tell him and he'll turn on you. I know he is stronger than me which means he'll be stronger than you."

He didn't even try to break free. "I'm not gonna tell you where I'm going to school." I growled.

"It won't be that hard to read your mind, will it now?" He hissed. I growled. "I'll just go into your mind to get the information from you." I cleared my mind so that I didn't think of anything. So, I watched as his red eyes glowed as he tried to read my mind. He looked at me weird. I smirked as he broke free and then pinned me to the wall. "Why can't I read you?" He demanded.

I giggled as he was thrown off by my cousin. "No one will hurt my cousin." Meredith shouted at him.

"Says who?" He asked.

"Me." She said, throwing him to the ground. "You won't get away that easy. Kelli, now!" I sprinted to the car as Meredith held him back. Once I was in, I saw her throw him far back and she teleported into the car with me.

"Thanks." I said. "But we've got to get out of here. Back home."

"I'll teleport to my car once we get on the road." She said. My dog sat in between us as my dad drove out of the parking lot with my mother in the passenger seat.

...time skip...

We were finally in Kennebunk at the rest area. "I'll get back to my folks." Meredith stated. "My brother is a bit worried because of what I did back there. He's like you, but he doesn't know it yet. He hasn't experienced his first transformation yet."

"He will when he's 11 and when it is September." I replied. "Just be careful because he will black out and it will take a while for him to get to his senses. So barricade your doors just in case. I was out in the open and it wasn't a good night for me."

She nodded. "Thanks." She said. We both morphed back into our human form before we got out to get food. And soon, we were back on the ride home to Massachusetts.