85 - Mad Monk

#85 - Mad Monk
First Appearance: Detective Comics #31 (Sep 1939)

"Enjoy this, hero. Enjoy death." ~Mad Monk

Batman's first supervillain, Mad Monk still remains one of the great ones; developed as a one-off villain, Mad Monk was conceptually similar to Dracula in design, but grew into his own very quickly. The Mad Monk's story was the first multi-part story in the Batman series, and therefore is really influential on what come later in the Batman mythos. Mad Monk, a vampire, uses his own powers as well of those of his supernatural assistant Dala, to kidnap Bruce Wayne's love interest Julie Madison, but is stopped by Batman who SHOOTS THEM WITH SILVER BULLETS, KILLING THEM.

Wait, what?

Yep. Batman killed Mad Monk. Killed him. Remember back in the day when Batman went around with a gun and shot criminals in the ******* face? Well, I bet Mad Monk has a pretty clear memory of it. Although death wasn't the end for the Mad Monk, as he would return time and again to menace the Dark Knight. And it's completely worth it. I love seeing the Mad Monk from time to time. He's the OG supervillain, with creepy henchwoman and macabre frightening yet entertaining abilities. Remind you of anyJoker?

Greatest Mad Monk Story Ever Told:Batman and the Mad Monk by Matt Wagner - A recent retelling of the original Mad Monk story, Matt Wagner (who is the most underrated comic writer ever) weaves an amazing supsenseful tale of classical horror featuring Batman in a truly Gothic tale. Great stuff.