19 - Black Mask

#19 - Black Mask
First Appearance: Batman #386 (Aug 1985)

"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. That's why I win, even though you beat me." ~Black Mask

Roman Sionis. Sure, you most of you only know him from his extremely lame appearance in Arkham Origins, but if you take the time to go back to his comic roots, you'll find one of the most intelligent and manipulative villains in all of Gotham. From his roots as a criminal mastermind, Sionis upped the ante in ways Gotham had never seen before when he formed the quasi-New Age cult known as the False Face Society. What makes the False Face Society so much more interesting than any of the other Bat-related villain groups or mobs is that its membership is founded upon a zealotry that makes every crime committed part of a religious experience; the use of masks in all of the False Face Society's goings-on helped to shape so many great stories that had to do with "true identity" and what the meaning behind the word face really is. Mask not only brought criminal savvy but also a level of philosophical thought that helped to create some really deep and meaningful tales.

As time has gone on, the False Facers have changed in modus operandi based upon shifts in Black Mask's own thoughts. When Sionis began to see his own mask as punishment, a new disturbing element of self-flagellation emerged in the group; when Mask began to see the Society as a way to prevent his own incarceration, he began to dole out information on his own acolytes. Eventually, however, Mask evolved beyond his cult, resulting in less unique stories.

Regardless, Mask is still one of the best villains in the Batman arsenal with a memorable and distinct personality. And, of course, you can't get moments like this without him:

http://flic.kr/p/4bL9qw

Greatest Black Mask Story Ever Told:War Games - Brutal, unflinching, dark, brilliant... Black Mask proves he's every bit the mastermind of the top-tier villains by taking down Gotham with Batman's own plans; a vicious story that demonstrates how Sionis could rule Gotham if he chose to.