91 - Phantasm

#91 - Phantasm
First Appearance: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Dec 1993)

"You're not smiling, Joker. I thought you found death amusing." ~Phantasm

In just the same way that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the hidden gem in the Batman film franchise, the Phantasm herself is a hidden gem in the Batman villain pantheon. Despite only two real appearances in Batman media, Phantasm has garnered a small fandom from her stellar debut in Mask of the Phantasm. The introduction of a tragic villain like Phantasm into a mainstream movie has left a major impression on the superhero film world, from Raimi's Doc Ock to Singer's Magneto. Mask of the Phantasm has a legacy in superhero films, not being afraid to bring mature themes and overtones to a franchise that up until that point did not really dive into the true brooding, deep concepts that Batman comic fans love.

I can't talk about the Phantasm too much. The entirety of Mask of the Phantasm is a giant freakin' spoiler tag waiting to happen, so all I can say is this: Phantasm, while not given much character development, is conceptually a great villain that follows a very archetypal arc of storytelling that is the sort of thing that propels Batman from entertainment to modern-day Greek hero status. Superheroes are meant to be conduits for storytelling on society and the human conditions, their allies and enemies reflecting a mirror image on facets of our own world that need to be shown. Phantasm is the star of a somewhat timeless tell, that, while told better with other characters (even on this list), is still a great story to be told.

But, given some of the truly amazing villains that are soon to appear on this list, I honestly can't rank Phantasm any higher than here.

Greatest Phantasm Story Ever Told: I like Mask of the Phantasm, but the original ending to Justice League Unlimited, entitled "Epilogue," is her best appearance. In an episode that echoes the creation of Batman as well as harkens back to Amanda Waller's lack of self-control, Phantasm must decide whether or not to murder Terry McGinnis' parents as they leave a movie theatre. Moving stuff.