58 - Sal Maroni

#58 - Sal Maroni
First Appearance: Detective Comics #66 (Aug 1942)

"You want a piece of me, but we both want a piece of Falcone." ~Sal Maroni

Is there an automatic in for this list? Maybe, but if there was, Maroni is the sort of guy that qualifies for it. Looking at his record, he's been a part of a lot of the great early moments in Batman's career, whether it be the disfigurement of Two-Face, a key player in Batman: The Long Halloween, or one of the featured characters in The Dark Knight (played by the excellent Eric Roberts). And, of course, he's got that mob called the Monster Men which are pretty good early antagonists for an inexperienced Batman.

When it comes to the Gotham crimelords, Maroni may not be the most important or the greatest, but he's my personal favorite. He's just a real scumbag with the kind of Italian mafia meanstreak that makes someone go from bad to cruelly riveting. Let's face it: we don't watch The Godfather for Diane Keaton, we watch it for the bad guys going at it each other from all angles, leaving nothing sacred. It's fantastic, and Maroni is totally a part of this world. And, of course, when you're the guy who created the monumental Two-Face, then fuggeddabuddah! You've just won an instant in. If they exist.

Greatest Sal Maroni Story Ever Told:This panel, right here:

There.