41 - Onomatopeia

#41 - Onomatopeia
First Appearance: Green Arrow #12 (Mar 2002)

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/1/18154/610226-bmcpy_1_dyleuxe2_11_copy.jpg

"Blam." ~Onomatopoeia

Bang. Crash. Hkk. Wheeze. Tap. Tick. Tock. Boom.

Onomatopoeia.

Villains don't get much creepier than this, and furthermore, it takes a great villain to migrate from one franchise to another and be equally successful. That's what Onomatopoeia did, however, when Kevin Smith brought him from the Green Arrow world over to the Bat-franchise in Cacophony and the Widening Gyre. O-man is perfectly suited for the Bat-world of Gotham; his psychosis and murderous tendencies are pitch perfect alongside folks like Zsasz and Joker, but there's so much more to him that just the killing. It's how he does it, so merciless and almost with a detached coldness that breeds a dark, brutal humor. Onomatopoeia is a great exercise in human insanity, and I love what he brought to the table in the short time prior to the New 52.

Greatest Onomatopoeia Story Ever Told: Batman: The Widening Gyre - You thought Hurt's machinations were brilliance incarnate? Let's talk Onomatopoeia in the Widening Gyre. Literally saying anything about it is a spoiler of the highest order, but just trust me; it's amazing. Amazing. When I think of the few characters who actually "beat" Batman, the list is extremely short, and alongside some of the big guns like Joker and Riddler, Onomatopoeia gets to put his name on this auspicious list. There's a demented, superintelligent mind that offers so much more than a serial killer, but a master strategist, a psychological mastermind of the highest order.