78 - Nyssa Raatko

#78 - Nyssa Raatko
First Appearance: Detective Comics #783 (Aug 2003)

"When the world gets a true taste of violent oppression, and their heroes lie dead and broken -- apathy will die." ~Nyssa Raatko

At the turn of the millennium, there was an amazing story that no one seems to remember, written by Batman master-scribe Greg Rucka: Death and the Maidens. In this story, Rucka introduced Ra's al Ghul's OTHER daughter, Nyssa Raatko, a few hundred year-old angry ***** with a serious grudge. Nyssa cleverly manipulates Talia, Batman, and Ra's himself in order to get revenge on her father. However, by the end of the story it turns out not all is as it seems.

Nyssa came into the DCU with a bold, ambitious plan that involved world domination - not something that comes up much in Gotham City. Sure, maybe city domination, but full-blown global? That's a step up for Batman comics. However, Nyssa's character works well in this heightened stakes storyline. Blending a bit of Magneto into the Ra's al Ghul concept, Nyssa arrived in the DCU with huge potential, changing the status quo of the DCU forever - at least forever in comic book standards (so, like, a couple years). I loved Nyssa and Talia's blossoming partnership, and I wished that Nyssa had been kept around after Greg Rucka left DC Comics. She was a surefire success and a perfect replacement for Ra's al Ghul in the Batman mythos, had she been kept around.

Greatest Nyssa Raatko Story Ever Told:Batman: Death and the Maidens. Seriously. Just read it. It's fantastic; the best story from Batman in the time between No Man's Land and War Games. And that's really saying something; this is Batman facing a threat that actually is a truly equal competitor.