77 - Nocturna

#77 - Nocturna
First Appearance: Detective Comics #529 (Aug 1983)

"They brave the night to welcome its dark embrace." ~Nocturna

Nocturna... she's such an oddity among the Batman villains. One of the more macabre characters, I've always thought of her as a mad scientist slowly descending into an abyss of villainy. Her entire life bred her into crime: from her orphaned time on the streets to her unwitting work as an astronomer in the employ of a crime boss, she was led down a path of thievery from the outset. She not only became a thief, but she also developed a relationship with Bruce Wayne outside of their masked identities. Back in the early 80s, Catwoman's relationship with Batman didn't exist (at least, not on Pre-Crisis Earth-1), and the concept of a villain and a hero being in a romantic entanglement (even if it was unwitting) was fresh and original.

However, a jilted lover of Nocturna's ultimately returned and ruined the possible relationship before it had much time to take off, and sadly this very intriguing tale from decades ago came to an end. I see Nocturna as an exotic character, the sort of woman that COULD entrance Bruce Wayne because she is just so different from all the other women in Gotham; similarly to Catwoman, she stands out not only for Bruce, but for Batman, and that makes their fights both before and after the romance that much more interesting.

Greatest Nocturna Story Ever Told:Batman #398-390, Detective Comics #556 - A great story taking place during Crisis on Infinite Earths, a tale revolving around Nocturna and Catwoman and both of their relationships with Batman yields some unpleasant results for all of them as they take on each other. Great stuff.