7 - Catwoman

#7 - Catwoman
First Appearance: Batman #1 (Apr 1940)

" My world is all just shades of grey, Batman." ~Catwoman

Let's face it: Catwoman is a b**** to rank on this list. Sure, we all know she's a pretty solid character even on her worst days, but the question is pretty much this: "How much of a villain is she?"

I mean, let's look at that Prometheus write-up. Literally she was invited to the Justice League watchtower and saved the day. So, in that sense, well... she's a good guy. Not to mention her membership in the New 52 Justice League. Or the fact that she's pretty much depicted as an anti-hero with benefits in Arkham City and Dark Knight Rises. Or the fact that in her solo series by Ed Brubaker she spent most of the time defending the East Row.

So now you know where the points off went. There's just no use in trying to tell villainous Catwoman stories anymore.

That said, Catwoman is about as much of an anti-hero as you can get without being a villain OR a hero. She straddles that line like it's a cliff with drops to the death on both sides. Her morality is pretty much whatever she feels like, but it always feels almost reasonable and justified. She's really an unusual, deep and layered character that's always fun to read. Of course, her time as a straight-up villain is gone and that's for the best; after all, jewel thievery can really only get so much mileage before some variety is necessary, and DC smartly allowed what seemed to be naturally taking course and let Catwoman and Batman have a blossoming sort of Cold War-relationship and allowed Catwoman to find a path all her own.

In the end, there's been a great number of anti-villain, anti-hero Catwoman titles out there with a wide variety of excellent renditions and portrayals. Grey DeLisle perfectly captures the voice of Selina in Arkham City; Anne Hathaway really sinks into the Brubaker-voice of Catwoman in DKR; Brubaker obviously is my Catwoman scribe of choice, and for great reason - nobody does Catwoman better.

Regardless of how much you love Catwoman (and for me, she's a great character), there's always still that nagging fact that her strictly villainous days are behind her. That's for the best, though; as time goes on, Catwoman sinks down this list for me, but she climbs my lists of most interesting DC characters and especially the most important and interesting Batman characters. Grey skies are ahead for Catwoman - I can't say that's a bad thing.

Greatest Catwoman Stories Ever Told:
1. The Dark End of the Street - This is where to start reading Catwoman. I honestly can't think of a better primer for the character, as her voice really develops in this story in ways I can't possibly explain here. Catwoman's world is developed as Slam Bradley explores the "death" of Selina Kyle.

2. Catfile - This is a story that really started bridging the gap between hero and villain for Selina; Catwoman is captured by the government and forced to work as a spy. An over-the-top adventure that follows Selina as she tries to complete her mission for the gov. while also trying to shirk her handler.

3. Relentless - The big one. The Catwoman story everyone always points to as the best of the batch. Catwoman is beginning to make a name for herself as a sort-of Robin Hood in the East End, but with a good guy name comes the good guy villains, and Black Mask turns her world upside down. Riveting, brutal, and amazing.