Introduction

"What splendid irony that man's testaments to his own ingenuity become the agents of his demise." ~ Ra's al Ghul

The storied annals of Batman's history. What lurks in those dark, dusty tomes, filled with decades of the gothic, the noir, the grim and gritty? The very essence of the Batman concept is a battle to not just defeat or prevent evil, but to understand it, and for seventy years, the Dark Knight has been not only a crusader against villainy, but medium in and of himself, a forum to explore the amoral and immoral. Batman does battle with great characters, some allegories for more profound forms of social ills, some simply representations of the everyday criminal mindset, some psychotic, some maniacal. Whether it's a battle of wits or a match of fighting prowess, Batman is entangled in a world where the concept of evil is meant to play a starring role.

This thread will attempt to rank the one hundred enemies of the Bat that are truly the greatest of all. One a day. Creeping solely up the list from minor nuisance to arch nemesis, I want to try and introduce or reintroduce you to some of the greatest examples of villainy to ever be penciled and inked and sent to press. I'll try to include at least one story that showcases each character's unique brand of immorality as well as attempt to describe what exactly about them leaves an impact on me.