38 - David Cain

#38 - David Cain
First Appearance: Batman #567 (Jul 1999)

"First thing's first. I need a drink." ~Cain

David Cain. Easily one of the most skilled, most depraved individuals to grace this list; he's got the raw talent of a Deadshot mixed with the utter disregard for humanity of a Deathstroke, and I love him for it. Primarily Cassandra Cain's biggest antagonist, Cain brought Cassandra up, and raised her on a language that centered around using violent attacks to convey communications; the reason Cass Cain was mute for several years was because of Cain's brutal parentage, and it has always haunted me that someone, even a villain, could be so cold to their child. It's extremely moving to see Cass face her father on numerous occasions, and only out of a well-designed monster like Cain could you get such an emotional reaction.

Then there's a storyline that we all remember as being one of the biggest, baddest moments in the Dark Knight's career, Bruce Wayne: Fugitive. Remember that one? Back when Bruce Wayne was framed for murder and we spent a year in all the titles trying to figure out who set him up? That giant, elaborate ruse was easily one of the most impressive plans ever executed in any comic, and it was all Cain's. I mean, it was a true chesslike strategy, moving heroes and villains and cops and businessmen all over Gotham and pulling strings without ever leaving a fingerprint. Brilliant, menacing, evil, twisted, excellent stuff. This is why Cain ranks so highly on this list; you just can't beat the combo meal of brains and brutality.

Greatest Cain Story Ever Told: Batgirl #65 - Cain escapes from prison to visit his daughter Cassandra, and then he goes back to prison. No one ever figures out he escaped. I just love that. I mean, that is just about one of the greatest moments for any villain. "I could escape whenever I want, but I'm just letting you guys incarcerate me."