9 - Deadshot

#9 - Deadshot
First Appearance: Batman #59 (Jun 1950)

"Man, I hate supergoon zombies." ~Deadshot

Deadshot's the main man, and that's all there is to it. He was Deathstroke before Deathstroke and Deadpool before Deadpool. He was Lobo before Lobo and even a little bit of Hitman before Hitman. Deadshot kicked around a little bit in the 50s with Batman, but it was landmark storyline Strange Apparitions that turned Deadshot into the loveable fatal threat that he is today. Driven by motives that will always somewhat remain his own (never truly to be revealed to the reader), Deadshot's intense skill as a marksman and fighter are always on display in assassination attempts and villainous battles that consistently prove to be some of the best moments in comics. Naturally, he's been even further developed in excellent comic books like Suicide Squad by John Ostrander and Secret Six by Gail Simone, both of whom saw in Deadshot the prototypical anti-villain character, a perfect character to juxtapose against characters like the Punisher. Where Punisher is passionate, Deadshot is cool. And where Batman is focused, Deadshot is blaise. Of course, when you begin to learn more about Deadshot, you realize he ultimately doesn't value his own life.

Deadshot's definitely been around the block in the Batman universe; every member of the Batman family has battled with him, but there's really no way to explain just how integral that is to Deadshot. Every Deadshot fight involves both the detective skills of a Bat-family member, and also showcases their fighting prowess. Essentially, Deadshot is a great villain because he can make a superhero lookgood, and that's a tough balancing act. Luckily, Deadshot's work with villain gatherings and also in the two SS teams makes him an icon in the rough-and-tumble world of fighting.

Deadshot is a friend to no one, even his closest comrades, and that makes him a truly isolated character; he's always been a character who hides his own pain and torture behind a devil-may-care facade, but when he lets the monster loose, it's a sight to see. Honestly, Deadshot never gets old over overexposed, and writers can constantly find something new and different to do with him. He even worked extremely well as a side boss in the Arkham games, and filled his given roles perfectly. Deadshot is an engrossing character with a memorable design and skills that make him indispensible to the Batman franchise.

Greatest Deadshot Stories Ever Told:
1: Deadshot #1-4 - The original mini-series that first explored Deadshot's past and family all while setting up a great political conspiracy tale. It's Deadshot mixed up with BOTH Batman and the Suicide Squad, the two most important parts of his life. 2: Secret Six: Danse Macbre - Deadshot and the Secret Six face the demons of their past when Black Lantern Suicide Squad members and a new Squad face them down in one of the best stories out of the Secret Six. The highlight is the showdown between Lawton and Waller.3: Suicide Squad #51 - Probably one of the most underrated stories in the Suicide Squad library; Deadshot must track down himself, or at least a man who has stolen his costume from an airport luggage carousel. Brutal and amazing.