68 - Lord Death Man

#68 - Lord Death Man
First Appearance: Batman #180 (May 1966)

I read somewhere that violent, antisocial crime's almost unheard of in Japan. How's about we take them to school? LORD DEATH MAN! I AM THE HEADMASTER! ~Lord Death Man

It's really funny that there's been a lot of comments about Lord Death Man, because lo! and behold, here he is. When I originally put this list together, I was torn on where to put this guy, because on one hand, he's really only been relevant to Batman recently, and hasn't appeared hardly at all. But Lord Death Man has quickly developed a fanbase thanks to Grant Morrison's ridiculously hilarious and at the same time awesomely legitimate take on a one-shot villain from the 60s.

Batman, Inc. need a story to kick it off with a bang, and I think Lord Death Man provided it; instead of going with an established threat or something close to the Batman bailiwick, Morrison threw both Batman and a new young hero up against a brand new sort of threat. Lord Death Man established himself as the sort of chaotically arrogant villain that you'd expect in the 60s Batman show mixed with the grimmer designs of Neal Adams and topped with the brutal agenda of a Frank Miller style villain, and it works out fantastically. You'll be laughing just as much as you'll be dying to turn the page, and that's what a villain is all about.

Greatest Lord Death Man Story Ever Told: Batman: Leviathan Strikes! #1 - A small scene but utterly awesome, Lord Death Man blows up a giant satellite headquarters. It's awesome.