62 - Crime Doctor

#62 - Crime Doctor
First Appearance: Detective Comics #77 (Jul 1943)

"Everything's made up." ~Crime Doctor

The Crime Doctor is one of those longtime villains that's sat in the backseat despite is longevity. He's one of the OG nutjobs in the Batman arsenal, being (if my memory serves me correctly), the first Batman villain to actually TORTURE someone on panel. Hell, that's half of his modus operandi. I really liked this villain because he used to show up often in a support capacity for a wide array of criminals, serving in several capacities, and his one condition was that he wouldn't kill anyone... because it would break the Hippocratic Oath.

That's right. This is guy is an actual doctor. So badass.

Crime Doctor used to consult everyone from the Penguin to the Riddler to Bane at one point, patching up wounds, or providing certain less-than-positive medical procedures to people who might be, ah, unwilling to participate if they could choose not to. Regardless, his role would always be the same: hire himself out, reap in a reward, and in the end, donate most if not all of his ill-gotten gains to charity. Because, you know, he's just in this for fun, not the rewards. You gotta love rich, bored idiots who just need to commit crimes for kicks, and that's exactly what Crime Doctor was all about. He was killed after Infinite Crisis, but he hasn't shown up in the New 52 yet, so there's still a chance to bring back this amazing and unique supporting character who is just as intriguing as many of the villains he would help.

Greatest Crime Doctor Story Ever Told:Detective Comics #579 - Two-Face is going in for a special operation at the underworld doctor of choice, and Batman must stop the Crime Doctor from saving a life?!?! An interesting, surprising one-off issue that really highlights the importance of the Crime Doctor to the Batman mythos.