5 - Two-Face

(I accidentally put the wrong picture at the top and it won't let me change it)

#5 - Two-Face
First Appearance: Detective Comics #66 (Aug 1942)

"Point is... just indulge me here... if you can make me just like you, then it follows I can make you just like me." ~Two-Face

What can be said about Two-Face that hasn't been said before and better? He's the character that best presents that lurking duality in man. He's the character that has time and again served as a true representation of the corruption of an incorruptible icon. He's the villain that's all about dual identity and in that sense presents a true superhero who at all times is able to live both the mask and the man behind the mask. Of course, the question is, "Which is which?" Is the mask the original unbroken man, or the unchained id unencumbered by the chains of convention?

Time and again, Two-Face has served as what is in my opinion the single most tragic villain in all of comics. There's always that piece of Harvey Dent lurking alongside that monstrous Two-Face, a glimmer of hope that we can take him back to that old life before things changed. But that's the point; there is no healing, no going back. Nevertheless, that half of Dent that is always there tugs at us and makes us believe in a possibility of reparation, of peace for this tortured soul. I think that's why he works so well; we buy the good acts, we buy the bad acts, and at any time it feels like both are justified. Rarely do we see which side of the coin lands, so we must assume it's the clean side for good acts and the marked side for bad ones. But every once and a while, an act of charity occurs without the right side of the coin, which leads you to wonder... is he still there?

Dare we to dream? That's the attitude of Bruce Wayne, longing to save his friend from a fate he feels responsible before. And those emotions of Batman are felt every time the reader picks up a great Two-Face appearance; you're sucked right into the mind of the Dark Knight and feel like you're facing an old friend, lost somewhere behind the eye of a monster. Guilt, shame, dashed dreams... that's what makes Two-Face great.

Greatest Two-Face Stories Ever Told:
1. Faces (by Matt Wagner) - Not a lot of people remember this story, but it's a really unique and, well, freakish tale about Dent attempting to start his own country inhabited by "freaks" like himself. The results are... less than acceptable.

2. The Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14) - Probably the most important Two-Face story; it's the origin of the coin, the origin of his personalities (at least, why they are the way they are), it pretty much is the story bible for anything Two-Face; every story from Aaron Eckhart to BTAS used this story as framework for what they did, it's that good.

3. Half a Life - Gotham Central consistently proved itself to be one of the most unique and excellent series ever written, and this story is perhaps the biggest highlight from a run full of them. Two Face publicly reveals Renee Montoya is a lesbian and then kidnaps her, all part of his obsessive love for her. A story that simultaneously attracts and repels the reader to Dent in what I really consider a great psychological piece.