12 - Anarky

#12 - Anarky
First Appearance: Detective Comics #608 (Nov 1989)

"My objectives have always been unassailable. My standards, incorruptible. You know this." ~Anarky

Alan Grant's run on Batman is really one of the most pivotal, excellent runs on the character ever, but the single greatest thing to come from that era was the brilliant character of Anarky. Anarky's motives and objectives were always clear from the outset, but there was subtle nuance and complexity in how he executed his beliefs and furthermore, what he believed in any given situation. Everything he did was of paramount importance to him, but it always took time to fully realize why some of his actions were so necessary. Anarky is a big picture guy, and so that makes him a naturally versatile and unique villain.

The questions of morality he often poses are truly what make him so excellent in my mind. He doesn't just match up against Batman for fights like so many villains; he's attempting to reshape society in his image, and therefore Anarky is more often than not a character we have to think about, consider thoughtfully, before judging. Is he ever nevessarily wrong?

Furthermore, his brilliance. It's truly unparalleled. The guy has a brain that's developed beyond normal human intelligence; they say Mr. Terrific is the smartest guy out there, but I beg to differ - Anarky has taken on Darkseid in a battle of wits and stomped a god into the dirt intellectually. That's damn impressive.

Ultimately, I've never read a story where Anarky has been less than intriguing, and that makes him not only one of my personal favorite characters, but one of the greatest villains Batman has to offer.

Greatest Anarky Story Ever Told: The Anarky mini-series is amazing, chock-full of character-making moments that most DC characters would die for just to get one of.