47 - Maxie Zeus

#47 - Maxie Zeus
First Appearance: Detective Comics #483 (May 1979)

"Eat of my body, drink of my blood... the ambrosia of the gods." ~Maxie Zeus

We consider superheroes to be the modern equivalent of Greek heroes and gods, so it seems only fitting that the Hades of the DC Pantheon would face off against a Zeus every now and then. I love Maxie Zeus despite people's general apathy towards him; he's got the dialogue, the ridiculous plans and the complete psychosis that makes him one of the top-tier Arkham inmates. Maxie is fun because he can be fought with, of course, but it's more entertaining to outwit him by using knowledge of Greek mythology. Has he kidnapped a girl claiming she was Aphrodite? Just remind him that Aphrodite is betrothed to his son Hephaestus, and Maxie will reluctantly return her to her family and himself to Arkham. I love how he can be so utterly convenient and hilariously entertaining if need be.

Maxie Zeus, and this isn't pointed out enough, is actually a brilliant tactician. He has repeatedly found ways to take over the entirety of the Gotham underworld when a vacuum emerges, and his grip on it is swift and absolute; I don't think people ever realize that at times it's taken TEAMS of heroes to remove him from power (ie: the Outsiders). That's a credit to his resourcefulness and intelligence. He's even formed a strange yet perfect partnership with the REAL Greek god Ares in a bid for power that drew Wonder Woman into the fray. Pretty good for a guy with no superpowers whatsoever. Push comes to shove, Maxie Zeus can be a thrilling, menacing and entertaining villain all in the same story, and that's a great accomplishment in my book.

Greatest Maxie Zeus Story Ever Told: Batman and the Outsiders #14-15 - The Outsiders are trying to take down Maxie Zeus, but they're forced to take on his lackeys in an athletic competition reminiscent of the Olympic games. A great showcase for both the heroes and Maxie, stretching heroes to their limits is something only the great villains get the chance to do, and Maxie does it brilliantly.