45 - KGBeast

#45 - KGBeast
First Appearance: Batman #417 (Mar 1988)

" Little brat. Batman's brat. I am remembering you. I am cutting you to ribbons." ~KGBeast

First off, let me say, KGBeast is possibly one of the most hilarious characters in the Batman franchise. Maybe even THE most hilarious; I say this only because, well, read any of his dialogue. It's the most amazing broken English ever, utter perfection in failed syntax, and combined with his imposing presence and threatening abilities... I mean, you can't help but laugh when he tries to say something threatening and it comes off as "You am to be breaking now."

On the flip side, I've always liked my B-list villains when they get some time to shine. My personal first encounter with KGBeast was in Cataclysm, where he served as the big bad in Blackgate: Isle of Men, essentially murdering the main character of that story before busting out of Dodge. Going back, it's interesting to see where KGBeast has been since his debut; obviously set up to be a Cold War antagonist for Batman, his debut in 1988 gave him just one year of relevancy in that regard before the fall of the Soviets and the need to send KGBeast into mercenary mode, which really is the way I'm glad he went; working for other villains and also pulling off solid solo jobs means that KGBeast was one of the more versatile villains in the Batman arsenal, constantly providing new uses for the character.

James Robinson killed off KGBeast at a time when I think it was a good choice; despite being a good character, no one was really utilizing him for anything other than villain group appearances; that said, new day, new 52. Let's try to bring the guy back to relevancy.

Greatest KGBeast Story Ever Told:Batman #417-420 - "Ten Nights of the Beast" - You know what was a great origin story? Ten Nights of the Beast. I honestly loved this tale, and it centered mostly around KGBeast trying to kill Ronald Reagan, with Batman, of course, called in to stop it. Great use of a new character.