25 - Ragdoll

#25 - Ragdoll

First Appearance: Villains United #1 (Jul 2005)

"Oh, dear, not slavers! Why, that's almost nearly the sort of kind of barely a little bit about half as bad as the murderders and despots we normally work for!" ~Rag Doll

While he's mostly recognized for being a part of the Secret Six, Rag Doll has had so many run-ins with Batman and his Bat team and so much association with the Bat-villain community that I would be remiss in not including him in this list.

Merkel is the case study of friendly maniacal psychosis; loyal to his friends to a fault, his digustingly perverse childhood has led to this broke psyche becoming one of the craziest, gentlest, most murderous characters in the DCU. He's constantly contorted into a bizarre, disturbing shape, and his commentary on any given event really seals every appearance with a unique flavor that just isn't duplicated anywhere else in the DCU. Even Joker and Harley, the biggest nutjobs in comics, have a malevolent streak that never seems to end; Ragdoll can move from that same level of disturbing hatred to a strange twisted sweetness and compassion that simultaneously disarms and endears.

One of the greatest Ragdoll moments is a little story that I think sums up the concept of Batman in the DCU perfectly - after Batman's apparent death, Ragdoll runs around wearing a Robin costume until some of the more sane Bat-related characters begin to take umbrage. It's actually quite interesting - Ragdoll helps to demonstrate that there is an underlying respect for Batman even among his less respected enemies, a strange sort of dark code that holds up even after death. I think jester characters like Ragdoll have to exist in order to mock things until they become clear, until their intent is open for all to season. Hidden modicums of respect or heroic fallibilities all seem at the beck and call of a madman, and for that, Ragdoll proves himself one of the best villains DC has to offer.

Greatest Ragdoll Story Ever Told: The Darkest House - One of the best of the Secret Six stories, Ragdoll reveals the fate of the Get Out of Hell Free card, and brings to bear a shockingly sweet motive that begins a truly twisted and excellent tale as only Gail Simone can bring.