Prologue

I looked at the letter in my hands.
I didn't understand.
Today had been such a strange day, but it explained so much. I looked through the window, that's where I had first seen the old man with the long beard and odd robes, walking up to the house and knocking politely.
*Flashback*
I looked through the window and vaguely saw my reflection. My hair was a deep brown, and my eyes a dark, dull grey. The eyes are the windows to the soul. Hah.
I was distracted when I saw a tall man with an impressive looking beard. He was wearing black boots under a long, royal purple robe. I frowned a bit, and my glasses zoomed into my hand, so I could see him more clearly, I had just woken up. I never questioned why I could make things happen, they just happened subconsciously, for my comfort.
The man had stopped outside my house, paused a little bit, then looked up into the very window from which I was peering at him. I immediately scuffled away from the window and the curtains closed over the window. I heard a knock on the door, and heard my mother open it. The sound of boots echoed through the house, before I heard a voice,
"Good morning Miss Heatherstead, should I take my shoes off? I would like to talk to both you and your daughter Olimpia, if that is in order?"
There was a pause, before I heard my mother reply, slightly awkwardly, "Oh uh.. Yes, please, take off your shoes.. I'm making tea would you like some? Oh I'll call Olimpia. OLIMPIA!!!" She yelled out the last part.
I walked to the door, which opened by itself, then continued to the stairs, before walking down them. Once I had climbed down the stairs, I saw the black buckled boots put neatly into a shoe shelf and heard a murmur of my mother trying small talk, but as soon as I walked into the kitchen, it fell silent.
"You must be Olimpia. My name is Albus Dumbledore, and I am headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." The stranger with the beard held out his hand for me to shake. I took it, frowning. 'Witchcraft and Wizardry'? I looked at my mother, but she was busy making tea.
"Now. I am assuming you don't know what Hogwarts is?" The man, Dumbledore, asked.
His eyes twinkled.
"We decided against telling her anything, for her safety. It's already been bad enough."
I looked confused at mum, but she seemed to be trying to look anywhere but at me. I frowned again.
"Olimpia. I am a witch. As are you. A powerful one. So was.." Her voice trailed off, "Your dad."
My eyes widened. Was this a joke? I thought it could be, so I started laughing. But stopped soon when I saw mother was serious.
I looked at the man. He smiled kindly at me, and something seemed to click.
That's why I could make things happen? Why I could look different if I wanted to? Why people did what I wanted them to without even asking?
"I understand this is a lot to take in, Olimpia, but we will help you," Dumbledore looked at me.
"What do you mean, you didn't tell me because it was bad enough already?"
I looked at my mother, feeling confused and slightly hurt. Why did she think I was bad? I got into trouble at school, but nothing serious. This was important!
"Listen, Olimpia, most wizarding families expose their children to magic from a young age, however, I lost most of my powers when.. When your father left us. Grief can weaken magic. And when I was able to use the again you were already six and making things zoom around. I didn't assume that you would be that developed in magic at such a young age. I'd never heard of it before. So I decided I'd wait until you were older."
It made sense. But I was still hurt. The truth is always is the best option, that's what I think anyway.
"She is right you know, children only have occasional, accidental magic, but from what your mother briefly told me, you have degree of control over your powers. In those cases it is best to let the child believe these things are just coincidences and grow up, feeling almost normal. Would you mind showing me a bit of what you can do?" Dumbledore looked at me. How did he know this much? Oh right, he was headmaster of a school of magic.
There was a crow outside. I concentrated a bit, and it flew in through the window and landed on the table in front of Dumbledore, then at a cup of tea, my mother had forgotten about them, and it zoomed across the room and landed in front of him. I then concentrated harder, closed my eyes, and felt something warm spread through my body, opened my eyes and saw that my previously brown hair was black.
I looked at Dumbledore and saw that he looked as calm as ever, but his pupils were diluted and a look of shock was mingling in the sparkly contents of the deep blue. He then seemed to remember that my mother and I were still in the room, and said, "Most interesting. I would like to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts. Here is a letter containing the date and time you start, where to go, and what to buy. If you may, Olimpia, I wish to speak a bit with your mother alone?"
I nodded, took the envelope and went up to my room to open it.
*Flashback ends*
I heard the door open and saw Albus Dumbledore on the street. His face looked sort of worried, but that didn't concern me at the moment. I was going to a school for magic! FOR MAGIC!
I was pulling my shoes on, to visit my neighbour, and best friend in the world, Remus Lupin. I had to tell him!
But my mother suddenly said, as if she had read my mind, "You can't tell anyone Olimpia. Not even Remus.
"But mum." I whined, "Can I at least tell him I'll be going off to a different school and I'd him farewell? The letter says we go on the train to school on September first, and it's the twenty ninth of August? And we need to buy things, so we have to do that soon."
"Alright then. But don't talk about magic, and don't be too late either , you need to pack, we're leaving tomorrow.
I smiled and ran out of the house, across the road, to my favourite place, Remus' house.