JeanxReader ~Iced Tea~

JeanxReader

||Iced Tea||

Modern AU

Warning: Explicit Language

Note: short

~~

Jean swerves into the parking lot, his front end making a small screeching noise as it dips down into a pot hole. Not-so-skillfully, he parks in the second row away from the door.

'Today is the day,' he thinks, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. 'I'm going to do it today'. He shuts his engine off and grabs his wallet, shoving it in his pocket.

"What are you going to do today?" Marco questions Jean a bit earlier. Jean could feel Marco doing his signature raise-of-the-brow look through the phone.
"I'm going to ask that girl out, Marco," Jean says. However, it sounds more like a question than a finalized statement.
"Oh really?" Marco chuckles through the phone. "What girl? Wait– girl? That girl at the coffee shop? You don't even like coffee! And, you don't even know her name, and you plan on asking her out?"
"That's what asking someone out on a date is for, nimrod; to get to know them."
Marco laughs again, "You're ridiculous Jean. Well, good luck, I guess. I've got to go to work."
"Make sure you leave the door unlocked this time you ass, I had to wait until you got home to go inside," Jean snaps before ending the call.

Now here Jean sits, staring at her from his car's windshield.
He's had his eyes on her for about 2 months now. 2 months may not seem like a long time, but it's enough time to gain a crush on someone you think is absolutely breath taking. Her [h/l] hair swishes around as she turns to each customer, taking their orders. Her [h/c] glistens even if the weather is gloomy, muggy, and humid. How does it not frizz up in this weather? He sees her smile a lot; he can't tell if it's just for the customers or if she's genuinely nice. Either way, her smile seems to light up the room, and no matter who you'd be, you just can't help but smile back at her.

Ever since he's lay eyes on her, he couldn't remove them. Pretty soon afterward, he started coming in almost every day. Marco's right, though– Jean doesn't even like coffee. Like, not even in the slightest. But even so, he'll still order something. Probably 70% of the time she takes his order. What does he do with the coffee, though? He takes it home and either leaves it for Marco, or just dumps it. Marco always calls him stupid– why spend 3 dollars a day for stuff you won't even drink? Jean continues to ignore him, though, because someday– like today– all of those efforts will pay off. Or maybe they won't today. Who knows.

"I better get going inside," Jean says to himself. "It's getting pretty late."

Jean's been planning this since April 22nd, and it's now May 6th. He planned that he would go in right around closing time so he didn't have to worry about too many customers. And, his plan didn't foil. In fact, there's nobody but 3 staff.

If he gets turned down, he doesn't know what he'll do.

He finally opens his door and makes his way to the door. When he opens it, the signature jingle of the bell attached to it sounds.

The familiar sweet sound of, "Hello, welcome! What could I get for you today?" It rings throughout the small joint, filling him with joy.

"Hi, um...can I get that vanilla bean latte?" He nervously stutters. Usually he doesn't stutter, but for some reason today her smile is just a bit wider and brighter.

What if she knows.

"[Last Name]! Move! This is my order."
Jean looks up to see a tall blonde move up to the small girl.
"Let me just take this one Reiner! He's like, the last customer of the day."
"Sorry. Your shift was over 20 minutes ago anyway."
She rolls her eyes, and then turns to Jean, smiling, as if giving an apologetic one.

'No!' Jean's mind shouts. 'How could this happen?'.

"Sorry about that," the guy grins. "What was your order again?"

"Uh-um..a vanilla bean latte. And can I also get the caramel macchiato?"

"Of course," he bellows. "I'll have your order up in just a sec."

"Please hurry," Jean mumbles.
He watches the girl as she skips out to her car.
'Fuck,' he thinks, 'She's leaving!'

The dude that took his order places his cups of coffee onto the counter.
"Here you go," he smiles. "That'll be 6.8—," before he can finish, Jean basically throws a 10 at him, grabs the cups of coffee, and bolts out the door.

"Keep the change!" He yells, following the girls car as it makes its leave out of the parking lot.

"Hey! Wait!"

She looks in her mirror as she hears yelling behind her.

Jean nearly trips before stopping at her rolled-down window.
He's panting.
"Um..hi?" She gives a lop sided smile, a bit confused as to why this guy is chasing her car down.

He tries catching his breath whilst handing her the caramel macchiato.
"Here," he smiles.
She slowly takes the coffee from his hand, and steps out of her car to stand in front of him.

"What's this for?" She motions toward the coffee, giving another lop-sided smile.
"Isn't that like, your favorite on the menu?" Jean asks.
The girl simply throws her head back and laughs.
"What? Oh, no," she giggles.
"What? But you're always recommending it to people and stuff."

Jean recalls that whenever someone comes in and asks for what she would recommend, it's always the caramel macchiato.

"What?" She raises a brow but giggles again all the same. "No, no. That's just my job. That's what we've been told to tell people if they ask that, since it's kind of a new item. I don't even like coffee!"

"Why the hell do you work at a coffee shop then?"

"It pays me," she sarcastically replies. 

Jean sighs, feeling defeated.
"Well, anyway, what's your name?"
"[First Name]. What's yours?"
"Jean."

She smirks at Jean for a second, making him feel a bit uneasy.
"Alright then, Jean, I've got a question for you."
Jean's ears perk, a small smile forming on his lips. "Yeah? What is it?"

She tips her body all on one foot, and tilts her head. "Why do you always order coffee if you don't even like it?"
He raises his brows. "How'd you know I didn't like it?"
"I see you dumping it right after you leave from here all of the time. You've been doing it for like a month or so now."

Fuck. Busted.

"I, well, um—"
"That's so weird," she laughs. "You know, if you wanted to talk to me, you could have just said so."

He scoffs but smiles. "Well, sorry for being nervous. Now, would you consider going on a date with me so I don't have to keep wasting my money on coffee?"

She nods her head. "Yes. How about that coffee shop down the street?"

"What?" Jean crosses his arms. "I thought you didn't like coffee?"

"I don't," she replies. "But they've got the best iced teas in the world!"

A laugh slowly bubbles up his throat. "Fine, it's an iced tea date then."