ReinerxReader •Golden•

ReinerxReader

AU

||Golden||

Warning: Spoilers regarding later chapters in the manga

••

'The colour gold.
The color of wealth, success and status.

The colour gold is the color of success, achievement and triumph. Associated with abundance and prosperity, luxury and quality, prestige and sophistication, value and elegance, the psychology of this color implies affluence, material wealth and extravagance.

Gold in its physical state, by its very nature, denotes wealth and prestige in every country, culture and market in the world today - it is probably the most valuable and easily traded commodity available in the global market place.

This color is linked to masculine energy and the power of the sun, compared to silver which is associated with feminine energy and the sensitivity of the moon.'

"(Name)," as I hear my name being called, I place my thumb in between the pages I'm currently occupying.

"What is it?" I look across the room, catching the familiar figure in the faint light created by the gas lamp I lit up.

I see his bright teeth, more showing as his smile continues to grow and he walks even closer. He places himself in the seat next to me.

"What'cha' reading?"

I never thought that I would someday, somehow, come to enjoy the colour gold.

Gold; it's a colour that I've always called a shade of yellow. A shimmery shade between bright orange and yellow.

It's not muted, no. It's fierce. It's what everyone seems to want; what every explorer that we learn about in textbooks looks for.

I never really thought much of it, or never really found comfort in the colour, until I ran my fingers through his golden blond hair.

"Quit it (Name), it's going to tangle," he chuckles, swatting me away.
I roll my eyes. "Your hair is an inch long, Reiner."
"Two inches!"
"Whatever."

I make him lay his head into my folded lap, continuing to mess around with his golden tresses that were shining in the sunset before us.

I never really considered it to be a colour, until we lay together in an open meadow, discussing our favorite colours.

We collapse in a heap, our legs hurting from running.
We're laughing, wiping our eyes, holding our stomachs.

"Those things are so ugly," Reiner states, finally gaining control of his laughter.
"They may be ugly," I sit up, wiping the pieces of grass that are stuck to my blouse, "But they can sure kill us. Don't agitate wild boars, Reiner."

His giggle is deep, resonating throughout his large neck. "Sorry, (Name)."

At first, I want to get up and start heading back to our dormitory, but as I look over to see Reiner lay so peacefully, I can't help but join him.
I suck it up, and lay down with my white blouse.
Before I'm fully situated on the grass, I hear Reiner mumble, "You're going to ruin that shirt, (Name)."
"I don't care. I want to lay here with you a bit more."
"Here," he sits up, slipping his military jacket off of his muscular arms.

I like to tease him for constantly having it on, mocking his deep voice, saying, 'You may never know what will end up happening. And when something does, I plan to be at attention and ready'.
That's exactly what he says. It's funny, but he isn't wrong.