LevixReader •There's This Saying•

Levi x Reader

||There's This Saying||

Modern AU

A/N: short

••

I'm not one to be heavily into religion, enslaved by the thoughts of there being someone that is above all, someone that you put your knees to the floor, clasp your palms together, and mumble incoherent whispers to.
I was around an idea of a religion, but it was never enforced. The United States' most populous religion is Christianity, and that's basically what my parents followed. As I grew older, I never really liked the idea of Christianity or Catholicism, given that it had been forced onto many people in past generations.
Now, I do believe there is a higher being, but sometimes, I do not. I'm problematic, it's complicated.

Although I do not follow a specific religion, or certain religious beliefs, I come across a few phrases or sayings that I like to keep in my pocket for daily use or for when I need something to pick me up.

There is this one specific saying from the religion of Buddhism that is one of my favourites. It involves love, and being the hopeless romantic I am, I can't help but follow it.

As I sit here, stirring my coffee ever so lightly, watching the light colour of the creamer mix into the darkness of the coffee itself, I hear a voice ring in my ears.

"Hey."

I look up, my (e/c) eyes meeting pulsing steel ones. They're bored, and surrounding the corneas are dragged bags and eyelids.

"Earth to mars. Do you copy?"

A small smile tugs at the corner of my chapped lips. I place my hands around the small cup of coffee, feeling the warmth radiate to the tip of my fingers.

"What were you thinking about?"
"I was just lost in my thoughts."
"You're always lost in your thoughts."

I watch him as he adds nothing to his coffee but uses the small spoon that was given to stir whatever he believes to be in there.

"Do you follow any religion, Levi?"

He sighs, seeming to think about the question.
"Not really. My parents were Roman Catholics. We would pray before every meal, before bed, go to church, weekly bible readings," he pauses to bring the hot liquid to his lips, "but once I fell off with them, I've never had any desire to continue that."
I hum in understanding.

"Why?"
"How do you feel when you're with me?"
"Why are you asking all of these weird questions," he wraps his scarf and opens his wallet for a tip, preparing to leave.
I get up to follow, and soon we are on our way out of the small café.

"There's this saying. This saying by Buddhists. They say that when you're with someone you love, you don't feel nervous. You just get a calm feeling that settles. Tranquility, almost."

He pauses to wrap his scarf around his lips tighter and sets his right hand in his coat pocket. With me walking on his right, his pale, dry fingers reach out to clasp mine.

"I guess I love you then."
Another small smile, this time turning even larger, tugs at both corners of my mouth.

"I guess I love you too, then."