Pack Mentality - Dreams

Raelynn's P.O.V.

Me and Allison are early today, which is different for us. I pick up an apple and take a bite as Mom and Dad come downstairs, kissing our cheeks as a goodbye. I grab the keys to my car, which is finally fixed. I jump into the driver's seat, turning the keys in the ignition and grinning when I hear the familiar purr of the engine.

"You love this car way too much, I swear," Allison laughs, and I shrug.

"It's one of my most prized possessions," I reply, sticking my tongue out at her as we drive to school. We're early enough for me to cruise along at a normal 'speed-limit' pace, and we make it to school with time to spare. As I park the car, I see the Jeep pull in a bit further down and smile to myself, but that smile disappears when Lydia walks up to Allison, linking her arm through hers. "I'll see you later, Alli."

"'Kay," Allison replies with a smile.

Stiles smiles at me as I meet him by the Jeep. "Mornin' Shorty."

"Hey," I say, squinting when the sun blinds me as I look up at him. "Did Scott ride his bike in?"

"Yeah, he'll be here by now," Stiles answers, putting his hand on my back, making me move. My eyes travel to the side as if they can see his hand, although I can't. "Hey, Scott."

Scott looks panicked, and I tilt my head to the side as I try to assess why he's feeling this way. "You okay, Scott?"

"No," he answers simply. He describes his dream in a lot of detail, and it consisted of him killing my sister. My mouth is hanging open by the time he's finished.

"So you killed her?" Stiles asks, and I shoot him a look before looking back to Scott.

"I don't know. I just woke up," Scott says, shaking his head slightly. "And I was sweating like crazy and I couldn't breathe. I've never had a dream where I woke up like that before."

"I have," Stiles says before I can say anything. "Usually ends a little differently."

I make a disgusted noise and shove him with my shoulder, and he laughs slightly as he recovers from the shove. Scott makes a face and I laugh.

"'A', I meant I've never had a dream that's felt that real, and 'B', never give me that much detail about you in bed again," Scott says, looking slightly scarred.

I laugh as Stiles says, "Noted. Let me take a guess here-"

"No, I know, you think it has something to do with me going out with Allison tomorrow," Scott interrupts, "like I'm gonna lose control and rip her throat out."

My eyes widen. "You do that and I will kill you."

Stiles chuckles and then says, "No, of course not." When me and Scott give him a look, he sighs. "Yeah, that's totally it." Scott shakes his head and I roll my eyes, but Stiles claps Scott on the shoulder. "Hey, come on, it's gonna be fine, alright? Personally, I think you're handling this pretty freakin' amazingly. You know, it's not like there's a 'lycanthropy for beginners' class you can take."

I snort and Scott nods slowly. "Yeah, not a class, but maybe a teacher."

My eyes widen and I stare at him. "Who, Derek? You forgettin' the part where we got him tossed in jail?"

"Yeah, I know," Scott says, "but chasing her, dragging her to the back of the bus, it felt so real."

"How real?" Stiles asks.

"Like it actually happened," Scott replies, and I push the doors leading to the back of the school open. We stop and our mouths fall open as we see a school bus with blood spattered inside and the back door completely ripped from it's hinges. Sheriff Stilinski and Forensics are already here, taking pictures and keeping students away from the scene. I look up at Scott and fear is glowing in his brown puppy eyes.

"I think it did," Stiles breathes, and Scott turns, his eyes frantically scanning the halls. "Scott, she's probably fine."

"I drove her to school this morning," I say reassuringly. "There's no way you could have harmed her last night."

He's not listening to me, and he's texting her. "She's not answering my texts, Stiles."

"It could just be a coincidence, all right?" Stiles says as Scott rushes past him. "A seriously amazing coincidence."

"Just help me find her, okay?" Scott asks frantically. "Do you see her?"

I sigh and give up, scanning the hallways myself for my sister, but I don't see her. "No. Look, she was with - Scott?" When Stiles and I turn he's gone, and we throw our arms up in the air as we realize he must have found her or ran to find her. I see them in one of the side hallways, and she's crouched on the floor, collecting her books. Scott's helping her, and then the Principal's voice comes over the intercom, telling us that despite the chaos happening with the bus, classes will continue as normal.

Stiles groans and wraps his arm around my shoulders, effectively dragging me away from my sister and friend. "Are you ready for your first Chemistry lesson?"

I wrinkle up my nose. "No. Please tell me the teacher is nice."

Stiles smirks. "Oh, yes, he hands out candy and flowers every lesson, and butterflies flutter around his halo whenever he's around."

I laugh and push his chest, but he grabs my hands, trapping me. I push against his hands but he's strong, surprisingly strong. I giggle and he lets go, pulling me into the classroom. "Don't make me."

"Mr Stilinski," a man's voice says, and he turns from the blackboard to face us. "Do I need to separate Ms Argent from you already?"

"No, sir," I answer immediately, closing my eyes briefly as I do. I just answered like I'd answer to my father, and I hate that. "Um, I'm-"

"I know who you are, Ms Argent, otherwise I would not have said your name just before," the teacher answers. I smile quickly and nod.

"And welcome to the teacher who is Mr Harris," Stiles whispers as we walk to our seats. Scott comes in a few minutes after us, and he smiles when he sees me in the class. He takes his seat beside Stiles and I look over at them. I'm sat on the desk beside them, and luckily there's no one on this bench.

"I just thought," Scott whispers, "maybe it was my blood on the door?"

"Could have been animal blood," I suggest. I'm used to having to whisper, but it seems like Scott and Stiles haven't completely mastered it yet.

"Yeah, maybe you caught a rabbit or something?" Stiles adds.

"And did what?" Scott asks.

"Ate it."

"Raw?"

"No, you stopped to bake it in a little werewolf oven!" Stiles hisses. "I don't know, you're the one who can't remember anything."

"Mr Stilinski," comes Mr Harris' voice from the front of the class. His back is turned so I quickly sit straight in my seat, turning my head to Stiles like a few other people in the class. "If that's your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to pull the headphones out every once in a while." Stiles grunts in agreement and I smile, but Mr Harris turns and stares at Stiles. "I think you and Mr McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?"

"No," Stiles replies instantly, pouting.

Harris points to two empty seats and the boys move. I cover my hand to laugh and Harris watches me, so I turn it into a cough subtly. "Let me know if the separation anxiety gets to be too much, Ms Argent."

I glare at his back as everyone turns to face me. I put my head on the table but it snaps back up when someone shouts something.

"Hey, I think I found something!" the girl shouts. It's the same girl that Stiles and Scott were talking to by the lockers on our first day.

The whole class rush to the window as Harris sighs, putting his chalk down. I stand beside Stiles and watch as they wheel a gurney with a man of about sixty on it. He looks unconscious, but he suddenly sits up and screams loud enough for us to hear, grabbing the two paramedic's arms. Everyone jumps except from me, and roll my eyes as they do.

"That's not a rabbit," Scott gasps.

"Okay, this is good, this is good. He got up, he's not dead. Dead guys can't do that," Stiles says reassuringly.

I roll my eyes and glance anxiously at Scott, who glances back at me with the same fear in his eyes. We're both feeling the same thing, and I have an instinct to grab his hand and squeeze it to give him some comfort, but I just cross my arms over my chest.

"Stiles, I did that," Scott breathes. I bite my lip and go back to my seat as soon as Harris tells us to.

"But dreams aren't memories," Stiles says as we sit at the lunch table. Mom packed my lunch for me today, but the boys bought lunch.

"Then it wasn't a dream. Something happened last night, and I can't remember what," Scott says while unscrewing his water bottle lid.

"What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?" I ask as I start pulling my bagel into tiny pieces and popping one in my mouth.

"Because during the full moon, he wasn't changed," Scott explains. "He was in total control while I was running round in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

"You don't know that," I reply, and Stiles nods while he eats his fries.

"I don't not know it," he argues. I roll my eyes. "I can't go out with Allison, I have to cancel."

I narrow my eyes at him. "You do that I destroy you." His eyes widen and I raise an eyebrow. "She's really looking forward for tomorrow, that's all she's been talking about for at least two days." Literally.

"Rae's right," Stiles says, and I smile smugly at Scott from across the table. Stiles is sat beside me and Scott is saving a seat for Allison, like she asked. "You're not cancelling, okay? You can't just cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out."

"Figure what out?" comes Lydia's voice from in front of me. I look up and see her placing a tray of food one seat up from Scott. Allison puts her lunch bag on the table and takes a seat on the other side of Scott, so that there's a gap between Scott and Lydia. Me and Stiles glance at each other when one of Jackson's friends sits at the head of the table, and Danny sits beside Stiles, who smiles at him but receives nothing. I press my lips together to stop laughing.

"Just, uh, homework," Scott says quickly, and I smirk.

"Yeah," Stiles says quietly. "Why is she sitting with us?" Now that's even quieter.

I shrug and take a drink of water, watching Jackson trail over to our table with a look of disgust on his face.

"Get up," Jackson says to the guy at the head of the table, who's currently staring at Lydia.

The guy sighs and takes his tray of food in one hand, but doesn't stand. "How come you never ask Danny to get up?"

Danny twirls his apple in his fingertips. "Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot." That was said simply. As we all get settled and I receive several worried looks from Stiles and Scott and a smile from Allison, Danny carries on. "So I hear they're saying it's some sort of animal attack. Probably a cougar."

"I heard mountain lion," Jackson corrects, and I narrow my eyes at him. Why does he always have to be right? Which he's not; a cougar is a mountain lion, asshole.

"A cougar is a mountain lion," Lydia huffs, her eyes closing very quickly in annoyance, and I tilt my head to try and assess what she'll say next, but when Jackson stares at her she furrows her eyebrows. "Isn't it?"

"Who cares?" Jackson says snappily. "The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway." I narrow my eyes again. Did he just-?

My hands clench into fists on my thighs, and I feel someone's hand on my knee, stopping it from bobbing up and down. I look over and see it's Stiles' hand. I roll my eyes and keep my leg still, but he doesn't lift his hand off.

"Actually," Stiles says, putting his cell phone into the middle of the table, "I just found out who it is. Check it out."

A reporter is shown in front of the school bus behind the school, with Stiles' dad walking towards the bus and talking to Forensics, ignoring the camera completely. "The Sheriff's department won't speculate on details of the incident but confirmed the victim, Garrison Meyers, did survive the attack. Meyers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition."

"I know this guy," Scott says suddenly, filling the silence.

"You do?" Allison asks, and I watch them with questioning eyes. What are they doing tomorrow?

"Yeah, when I used to take the bus back when I lived with my dad," he carries on. "He was the driver."

"Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please?" Lydia asks, boredom clear in her voice. I look at Stiles and he shoves his cell phone back into his pocket, his hand off of my knee. "Oh, like where we're going tomorrow night?" When she receives blank stares she continues. "You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?"

"We were thinking of what we were gonna do," Allison admits, and Scott looks at me and Stiles for help, but we shake our heads and carry on eating.

"Well, I am not sitting home watching lacrosse videos again, so if the four of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun," Lydia says, clasping her hands under her chin.

"Hanging out?" Scott says blankly. "Like, the four of us?" Then he turns to Allison, who's eyes widen. I chuckle when they do. "Do you wanna hang out, like us and them?"

She swallows her water and shrugs. "Yeah, I guess. Sounds fun."

"You know what else sounds fun," Jackson says. "Stabbing myself in the face with this fork." He holds it up and I will him to do it with my eyes, but Lydia takes it from him.

Lydia suddenly gasps. "How 'bout bowling? You love to bowl!"

"Yeah, with actual competition." Okay, this guy can't be a bigger dick right now.

"How do you know we're not real competition?" Allison retaliates, and I smile at my twin with pride. "You can bowl, right?" she asks Scott.

When I see Scott's glance at Stiles I realize he can't. Oh this will be fun. "Sort of," Scott shrugs.

Jackson leans forward in his seat, trying to intimidate Scott. "Is it sort of, or yes?"

Scott takes a breath. "Yes. In fact, I'm a great bowler."

"You're a terrible bowler!" Stiles exclaims as we head down the stairs after lunch during our free period. I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts and I think tears are gathering in my eyes.

"I know!" Scott exclaims back. "I'm such an idiot!"

This double date will be fun to hear about from my reliable sister. I smirk at the thought and laugh a bit harder at Scott's comment.