Magic Bullet - Kate

Raelynn's P.O.V.

There's a sudden ringing in my ears, and I open my eyes to see my cell phone lighting up my room. Groaning, I roll out of bed and answer it, expecting the caller to be Scott or Stiles.

"Hello?" I grumble.

"Hey, sweetie," a woman's voice says. It's my aunt Kate.

"Hey Kate," I reply. "Why are you calling me this late?"

"Technically it's early at 2 in the morning, honey," she laughs, and I smile. "Could you get your dad to come out and get me? I'm in a bit of a pickle."

"Sure, I'll wake him up now." I hold the call and rush into my parents' room, shaking my dad. "Dad? Wake up. Dad!"

"Raelynn," he growls, sitting up with Mom. "What?"

"Kate's in trouble." I hand him my cell phone and he puts it to his ear. Within five minutes he's dressed and grabbing a duffel bag with a rifle in it. "I'm coming."

"No, you're not," Dad says sternly as I watch him descend the stairs. "You need to act normal for Allison." I roll my eyes knowing he can't see me.

"What's going on?" Allison says, standing beside me on the landing that overlooks the front door. I immediately act tired and pretend I've just woken up, too.

"Dad?" I ask, and he gives me a nod only I see.

"Your aunt Kate texted," Dad says quickly. "I'm heading out to pick her up."

"But it's 2:00am," Allison says sleepily. She wraps her arm around mine and leans on me slightly.

"It's just a flat tire, sweetheart. Nothing I can't deal with," Dad says, opening the front door. "Go back to bed, girls."

We do as we're told, and nothing phases Allison. When I lay in bed I just hope that there's nothing seriously wrong and that she's not been injured.

"Look at you!" Kate squeals as she comes through my bedroom door. She grasps me in a tight hug, lifting me off my feet for a few seconds before releasing me. "I don't see you for a year and you turn into a freakin' runway model?"

"Oh-" I say, blushing and waving my hand to tell her to stop.

"Look at you," she says again, holding me at arms length to look over me. "Oh! Hate you."

"And I haven't even showered yet," I say with a smirk.

"Sweetie, you're a knockout," she says, letting me go. She's always been the closest family member other than Allison; maybe even closer than Allison, probably because Kate knows what it's like to be a hunter and Allison still has no idea. "I hope you have the boys knocking each other's teeth out for your attention."

I grin and help her unpack while she says hi to Allison. Allison comes in to help me unpack, and luckily I've unpacked and hidden all the weapons and werewolf knowledge. "I hope your car's okay," I say to make conversation.

Kate chuckles from the closet. "Yeah, just needed a jumpstart, that's all."

"A jumpstart?" Allison questions, and I close my eyes because I'm turned away from her. Kate, why didn't Dad tell you the cover story?

Kate doesn't reply and tells me and Allison to get ready for school. I pick out black skinny jeans, a plaid shirt and converse sneakers, braiding my hair so it falls to the nearly the bottom of my back instead of my hips. Allison comes out of her room as I come out of mine, and she's wearing a frilly purple top and jeans. I link arms with her as we go downstairs, and she grabs her car keys. She drives her car to school and parks it quite a way away from the Jeep, but we head inside to another day of boredom.

I round a corner after my classes have ended, and I see Derek talking to Jackson. What the hell is Derek doing here? My eyes widen and I snake up the lockers so I can get close enough without looking completely weird.

"No, we're not done-" Jackson says, but Derek grabs the back of his neck, pinning him to the wall.

I gasp and walk forward, gripping Derek's arm as I pass him, making him move away from Jackson. I see his claws when he lets go, and some blood on the end of them. That's gonna hurt Jackson like a bitch. "What are you doing here?" I ask as we walk into an empty classroom. His face is pale white and he's sweating badly. "You look awful."

"Thanks," he says sarcastically.

"What the hell is happening to you?" I ask hurriedly. "Why are you here?"

"I was shot," Derek gasps, clutching his left arm and tensing.

"So heal, dammit!"

"I can't. It - it was a different kind of bullet," he replies, breathing heavier. His eyes suddenly flash blue, and my eyes widen.

"Stop that," I say quickly.

"I can't," he growls, and I narrow my eyes.

"Don't you dare get funny with me, I'm saving your ass here." I hold him up by the waist and he drapes an arm over my shoulder, putting some of his weight on me. "God, your muscles weigh a tone." He laughs but it sounds pained. I manage to get him into the parking lot, but as we're crossing over to the Impala, Stiles comes out of nowhere in the Jeep and smashes into Derek. I scream slightly as Derek falls to the floor, and I kneel beside him. "Stiles!"

"You gotta be kidding me, this guy's everywhere!" Stiles says as he jumps from the Jeep to kneel beside me.

Scott's kneeling opposite me, his mouth open. People are staring now. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"He was shot," I explain quickly. "Not with a normal bullet, either."

"A silver bullet?" Stiles asks hopefully. I chuckle at him.

"No, you idiot," Derek growls. His eyes continue to flash blue again.

"I told you to stop that!" I snap, and he narrows his eyes at me, closing them and opening them to show his eyes still glowing blue. "We gotta get him out of here."

"Wait, wait," Scott says quickly. "That's what she meant when she said you have 48 hours."

"What?" Derek asks. "Who - who said that?"

"The one who shot you," Scott says. I think I know who they're talking about. Kate was in some 'trouble' last night, and I have a pretty big feeling it was more than what she let on.

"Help me to put him in your car," I say to Stiles. I see Allison walking down to me but I motion with my hands that I'm going with Stiles. She nods and heads back to her car in the line of traffic that's formed behind the Jeep.

"I need you to find what kind of bullet they used," Derek says.

"How the hell am I supposed to do that?" Scott replies.

"'Cause she's an Argent," Derek answers, nodding in Allison's direction. "You're going round there tonight, so try and find something out."

"Why should I help you?" Scott asks.

"Because you need me," Derek says before I push him and he falls into the Jeep.

"I hate you so much for this," Stiles says. I climb into the back and Stiles gets in the front, driving away. As soon as he does, all of the horns stop honking and people follow us. I have no idea where Stiles is driving to, just so long as Scott finds the bullet. I text Allison asking her to not be irresponsible with Scott, and she just replies with a 'shut up'.

I notice that the trees get thicker as we carry on driving, and I'm starting to get bored. It's dead silence in the car, and Stiles' knuckles are white where he's gripping the wheel hard. Derek looks like he's about to faint.

"Hey," Stiles says, making me and Derek look at him. "Try not to bleed out on my seats, okay? We're almost there."

"Almost where?" I whine, and he shakes his head at me.

"The Hale house."

"What?" Derek says suddenly, making me sit back in my seat. "No, you can't take me there."

"I can't take you to your own house," Stiles says, clicking his tongue and nodding. He's getting more and more frustrated.

"Not when I can't protect myself," Derek argues.

"All right," Stiles says, suddenly swerving and parking on the sidewalk. I grab hold of his headrest on his seat to stop me falling over. "What happens if Scott doesn't find your little magic bullet? Hmm? Are. You. Dying?"

"Not yet," Derek breathes. "I have a last resort."

"What do you mean?" I ask, leaning forward in my seat again. "What last resort?"

Derek rolls his shirt sleeve up to reveal a highly infected bullet wound. Stiles cringes and looks away, but my eyebrows furrow and I get closer, although Derek pulls away when I do. "Oh, my God," Stiles groans. "What is that?" He covers his view with the palm of his hand. "Oh is that contagious? You know what, you should probably just get out."

"Start the car," Derek orders. "Now."

"I don't think you should be barking orders with the way you look, okay?" Stiles says loudly. I place my hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down. "In fact, I think if I wanted to, I could probably drag your little werewolf ass out into the middle of the road and leave you for dead."

"Start the car, or I'm gonna rip your throat out - with my teeth," Derek threatens.

I lean forward enough so that my head is between Stiles and Derek. "Okay, first of all, I'm with Stiles on this one. We don't need to be helping you. Second of all, no one is ripping anyone's throat out because I have a dagger stuffed into my pants, and third of all, I think I might know what bullet that is."iles

"You do?" Stiles asks as he pushes my head back.

I nod. "I've only ever used that bullet once, and I didn't stick around to watch. I don't know the name of it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to do."

"No name for it?" Derek asks, and I shake my head. "Well, that's perfect!" he snaps.

Stiles leans towards him. "Hey, at least she got something, alright. Don't you yell at her when she's the one who got you out of the school." He pulls out his cell phone and dials Scott's number. We've been sat here for a while and Stiles has been trying to text Scott the entire time, but no reply. Finally, I hear someone pick up the other end of the phone. "What am I supposed to do with him?" he asks immediately. I can't hear Scott's reply. "And, by the way, he's starting to smell . . . Like death . . . What about your boss? You're not gonna believe where he's telling me to take you," Stiles says, handing his cell to Derek, who listens to Scott on the other end.

"Where have we gotta go?" I ask, and Stiles shakes his head and drives off. I notice a few signs pointing to the Animal Clinic, and I realize where we're going. I climb out of the Jeep and walk round to Derek's side to help him down while Stiles unlocks the back door. I support Derek into the building, dumping him onto one of the bags sat in the bay.

"Does Northern Blue Monkshood mean anything to either of you?" Stiles asks, looking down at his phone.

"That's the bullet!" I say with a smile, and Stiles returns it with a wink. I ignore the twisting feeling in my stomach when he does. "It's a rare form of wolfsbane."

"He has to bring me the bullet," Derek gasps. "I'm gonna die without it."

Stiles lifts Derek this time, and I open the doors for them and make sure the alarms are off. Derek walks over to the table the vet uses to check on animals, removing his shirt and revealing the black veins crawling up his arm as he grabs something from the cupboards, resting his elbow on the table. He's got blue duct tape and he's wrapping it tightly around his bicep, just above the bullet wound.

"Okay," Stiles says, "you know, that really doesn't look like anything some echinacea and a good night sleep couldn't take care of." I snort and roll my eyes, standing opposite Derek with Stiles by my side.

"When the infection reaches my heart, it'll kill me." Derek carries on wrapping the tape around his bicep, using his teeth as a way of holding it while wrapping it with his free hand.

"'Positivity' just isn't in your vocabulary, is it?" I roll my eyes at Stiles' comment and carry on watching Derek.

"If he doesn't get here with the bullet in time - last resort."

"Which is?" I ask.

Derek reaches down and places a metal electric saw on the table. "One of you cuts off my arm."