Heart Monitor - Your Yoda I will be

Stiles' P.O.V.

I'm not talking to Scott for two reasons. One, my dad is injured when he could have protected him quite easily, and two, I've had someone else on my mind all weekend. Rae hasn't been answering my calls or texts all weekend, and I haven't seen Allison this morning to ask her where Rae is. I see Scott come into class and sit behind me, but I ignore him and stare at the front of the classroom.

"Still not talking to me?" I hear him whisper from behind me. I tap my pen against my desk as a sign of no. "Okay, can you at least tell me if your dad's okay? It's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage? Nothin' that big - You know I feel really bad about it, right?" When I don't answer, he sighs. "Okay, what if I told you that I'm tryin' to figure this whole thing out and - that I went to Derek for help."

My attention is on him but I don't turn round to let him acknowledge that. "If I was talking to you, I'd say that you're an idiot for trusting him. But obviously I'm not talking to you." I wait a moment, and so does Scott, before I turn round quickly in my seat and stare at him. "What did he say?"

We're in the hallways and I'm looking for Allison to see if she knows where Rae is but I'm also listening to Scott. "He wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?"

"Yeah," Scott sighs.

"Okay," I answer with a nod, "well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me."

"I know," Scott says. "That's what he means when he says he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it."

My eyes sweep the corridors for Rae but I still can't see her. "Well, how's he gonna teach you to do that?"

"I don't know. I don't think he does either."

"Okay. When are you seeing him again?"

Scott looks away as we walk. "He told me not to talk about it. Just act normal and get through the day."

"When?" I press, staring at him until he answers.

"He's picking me up at the animal clinic after work," Scott replies.

"After work," I mutter to myself. "All right, well, that gives me to the end of the school day."

"To do what?" Scott asks, confused.

"To teach you myself," I reply with a smirk, and then we head for our lockers. I still can't see Rae. "Hey, dude, did Allison say anything about Rae?"

"Uh, I haven't spoken to Allison," Scott replies quietly, scratching the back of his head.

I sigh and grab some books from my locker and shoving them into my bag. "Well, where the hell is she?"

"Stiles-"

"She doesn't answer my texts all weekend," I carry on without meaning to.

"Stiles."

"And she never answered my calls-"

"Stiles!" Scott says loudly, and I face him. "I think I found her."

I hear muttering in the crowd and turn to see Rae walking through the corridors, her left arm hanging loosely by her side as if it's injured, she's limping, favoring one leg to the other, and she has a black eye with a couple of other bruises along her face. I feel my mouth drop open and rush over to her, but she cringes away from my touch. Everyone has stopped looking now, but Scott is still stood by his locker, gaping at us.

My hand brushes over her cheek and she winces as I brush over a bruise. "What the hell happened to you?"

"Nothing," she replies quickly.

I get angry then. "Rae, this is not nothing!" She turns to stare at me before packing her bag a bit more. "Did someone hit you?"

She growls slightly as I keep asking questions. She spins to me, her long hair whipping over her face as she does. "If you must know, I went on a hunt. And the bitch fought, and it got away, leaving me with these beautiful souvenirs."

"Cut the crap, Rae," I snap, taking us both by surprise.

"I'm telling you the truth," she says, and then I realize she is.

"You went on a hunt even when one of your best friends is a werewolf?" I hiss, and she nods.

"Stiles, I've been brought up like this. I don't know any other way, okay." She shuts her bag and shoves it on her shoulder slowly. "Now I'm late for class."

I grab her arm as she walks off and she falls to the floor, screaming. I widen my eyes and kneel beside her, as does Scott. "Sorry, oh God I'm so sorry, I'm-"

"I get it, you're sorry," she chuckles, allowing me to help her up. "Well, that arm is more bruised than I thought."

"Wanna skip class?" Scott asks as he helps keep her steady.

"Always," she sighs.

"Good," I reply, and she smiles at me. "Because me and Scott have something good planned." She raises her eyebrows and we lead her into the cafeteria, swerving away from Allison who doesn't notice us come in. Scott sits down and pulls his World History textbook up in front of his face so Allison can't see him. "I think the book's making it more obvious. Besides, she's reading anyway."

Rae nods and makes a noise as she swallows her food. "Kate's slowly nudging her closer to finding out about werewolves."

Scott's face pales. "I'm not ready for her to find out yet!"

"And neither is my dad," Rae chuckles. "He's going to go thermonuclear when he finds out." I reach across and pull her face towards me, and she looks like she thinks I'm going to kiss her, but I really just want to look at the bruises on her cheeks. "Stiles, I said I'm fine."

"Yeah, yeah," I say, letting go of her face so she can look back to Scott.

"So did you come up with a plan yet?" Scott asks me, and I nod with an evil smile.

"I think so." Rae gives us blank looks so I quickly explain the situation, and she looks relieved so I make a mental note to ask her about that later.

"Does that mean you don't hate me now?"

"No," I answer simply. "But your crap has infiltrated my life, so now I have to do something about it. Plus I'm definitely a better Yoda than Derek."

Rae laughs and Scott nods. "Yeah, you teach me," he answers.

"Be his Yoda," Rae says, pointing a carrot stick at us both before popping it in her mouth.

"Yeah, you be my Yoda," Scott says, his eyes darting between us and then over to Allison. She's talking to Lydia, who looks bored as hell.

"Your Yoda I will be," I say, mimicking Yoda's voice. Scott gives me a blank look as Rae starts cracking up. "I said it backwards."

"Yeah, I - I know." Scott ducks behind his book as Allison looks over at us. Rae keeps her face out of Allison's eye view, so I smile at Allison before she looks away. Scott suddenly jumps up and walks off quickly as Allison follows him, calling his name.

Rae turns to me and narrows her eyes. "Is there a reason he's avoiding my sister?" I explain everything to her and she nods. We stand up to head out to the field where my plan for Scott is going to take place. "That's a good enough reason. I'm just glad Derek got out okay."

"When were you with Derek?" I ask and she smiles and shakes her head.

"Friday." She flips her hair over her shoulder so it's out of her way. "Kate found out he was at his house and she asked me to help hunt him, so I went and warned him. Not that it did much good. The stubborn ass refused to leave."

I smile down at her as we meet Scott on the field. I have my lacrosse stick and lacrosse balls with us, and Rae has Coach's heart monitor. Her black eye is slowly going down, but it still looks pretty bad. "Put this on," I say to Scott, and Rae hands him the heart monitor.

"Isn't this one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?" Scott questions.

Rae shrugs. "Yeah. I borrowed it."

"Stoles it," Scott corrects.

"Temporarily misappropriated," Rae argues, and me and Scott laugh. "Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate with his phone while he jogs, and you're gonna wear it for the rest of the day."

"Isn't that Coach's phone?"

"What's with the questions?" I say defensively, and Rae giggles. "That I stole."

"Why?"

"All right, well, your heart rate goes up when you go wolf, right? When you're playing lacrosse, when you're with Allison, whenever you get angry. Maybe learning to control it is tied to learning to control your heart rate." I grab my lacrosse stick and hand Rae the duct tape.

"Like the Incredible Hulk," Scott says with a small grin. Rae laughs and ruffles his hair, strapping his wrists together behind him so he can't shield the balls that will be flying at him with his hands. Then she straps the heart monitor to Scott's arm and places Coach's phone on her bag, watching it carefully. "This isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my free period."

"All right, you ready?" I ask, picking up one of the balls in my net.

"No," he says quickly.

"Don't get angry," Rae adds. Then I throw the first ball. Scott curses and bends over in pain, but I keep firing them. He starts saying a small mantra out loud, but it doesn't really work when I throw another one and it hits him in a place no guy wants to be hit. He suddenly falls to the floor, ripping the duct tape apart with his wrists. Rae rushes forward and stops him from changing as subtly as she can. "You good?"

"You started to change," I say as I kneel in front of him, and Rae looks up at me as she holds Scott up.

"From anger," Scott says. "But it was more than that. Was like, the angrier I got, the stronger I felt."

"So it is anger," Rae concludes. "Derek's right."

"I can't be around Allison," Scott says unhappily. I see Rae close her eyes briefly. She knows what Scott means to Allison, and that him having to stay away from her is not going to be easy at all.

"Just because she makes you happy?" I ask, and Scott shakes his head.

"Because she makes me weak."

Raelynn's P.O.V.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Jackson stood on the sidelines by the benches, watching us. I give him a small wave but he walks away as soon as he sees me. I leave the boys at the locker rooms because I have a class, but after this class I have a free period My last class is the only one where Stiles, Scott and Allison are in it. History drags, and now I'm sat in a corridor with a mythology book, reading up on how fast humans heal from supernatural injuries.

"What are you reading?" a voice asks from above me. I look up and see Jackson stood there, smiling kindly down at me. I pat the floor and he sits down beside me.

"Some mythology stuff," I answer honestly after taking a bit of my cookie. "Kinda my secret passion."

He leans across and wipes a crumb from my lip, pressing his thumb to his mouth to get rid of it. "My passion is lacrosse. Has been for as long as I can remember."

I smile. It's weird; if Stiles had done that I would have probably been kissing him by now, but with Jackson I feel like it's just awkward. Pressing my bookmark between the pages, I close my book and shove it into my bag. "So what's the deal with lacrosse?"

"What do you mean?" he asks.

I cross my legs and face him, pushing my hair out of the way so it skims my lower back. "Well, every other school I've been to has got football, soccer, volleyball. None of them had lacrosse."

"Do you like it?" he asks hopefully.

"It's great," I answer with a nod. "I wish Stiles would go on the field though. He's got some good moves."

"He's a dork," Jackson laughs. My eyes dart to the floor and then back to him. "That - I'm sorry."

"Not me you should apologize to, is it?" I snap, grabbing my bag and standing up.

"Rae, wait!" Jackson says, following me. He grabs my injured arm and I press down a scream. "Look, I'm sorry. I've been a jerk to you and Scott, and Stiles. I really am sorry."

"Why does that apology not feel genuine?"

"Because I never apologize," he says. I chuckle and then stop when I remember what he just called Stiles. "Look, I like this."

"Like what?"

"Talking to you. Being your friend."

"Do you not have many friends?"

"None like you." He sighs as the bell rings and I make a face, showing I don't want to go to class. "I gotta go. I really am sorry."

I nod and start to back away when I smirk. "I believe you." He gives me a grin before we head in opposite directions to our classes. I don't like Jackson the way I like Stiles, but he's nice. He could be a good friend if I gave him a chance, and to me his apology felt genuine and sincere. I head into Coach's class with a smile on my face, sitting in front of Stiles so I'm beside Allison, who's sat behind Scott. I see the lump of the heart monitor under his jacket, and I smirk as I think about what me and Stiles did to him.

"Something funny, Argent?" Coach asks, looking into my face.

"Uh, no, Coach, nothing," I reply quickly, blushing when I hear Stiles and a few other people laugh behind me. Let's get this lesson over with. I really need to talk to Allison, sister to sister. I just hope she doesn't ask about my injuries, which she obviously will.