Heart Monitor - Don't be such a sour wolf

Raelynn's P.O.V.

I'm tapping my pen against my notepad in boredom, until Harris's eyes meet mine in annoyance and I stop. Stiles is clock-watching and Scott is looking around the classroom. Scott moves on his chair and it makes an uncomfortable squeak against the ugly tiled floor.

"Excuse me, sir?" Scott says. All heads in the room snap to him. "Uh, I know it's detention and all, but, uh, I'm supposed to be at work and I don't want to get fired." Harris doesn't reply, he just simply looks back down to his marking and continues it. Scott nods slightly and moves closer to Stiles, but I can hear what they're saying because I'm sat beside them. "You knew I would heal."

"Yep," Stiles answers. He sounds annoyed.

"So you did that to help me learn?"

"Yep."

"But partially to punish me."

"Yeah, well, that one's obvious," Stiles scoffs, and I fight back a laugh.

"Dude, you're my best friend, and I can't have you being angry at me," Scott pleads.

"I'm not angry anymore," Stiles sighs. "Look, you have something, Scott. Okay? Whether you want it or not, you can do things nobody else can do. So that means you don't have a choice anymore. It means you have to do something."

"I know, and I will," Scott promises. I smile at them and jerk when Harris speaks.

"All right, all of you, out of here," he says, waving his arm towards the door. We all jump up and rush out.

My cell phone vibrates in my pocket, so I tell Stiles and Scott to go ahead without me as I put my books away in my locker before I leave. "Hello?" I ask.

"Rae?" comes a familiar voice.

"Derek?" I ask, and I hear a grunt that means yes. "How the hell did you get my number."

"Not your main problem right now," he snaps. "You need to get down to the animal clinic."

"Why?" I ask as I shut my locker, shrugging my bag back on my shoulder. "What have you done with Deaton?"

"Only tied him to a chair and knocked him unconscious," Derek says, like it's nothing big.

"You tied him to a friggin' chair!" I shout as I kick the doors open and run to my car, starting it up in record time. I put my phone on speaker so I can leave it on the seat beside me. "Please tell me this is some kind of sick joke."

"Would I joke about something like this?" he asks again, just as calmly.

As I race towards the animal clinic, I growl in frustration. "You better have a damn good reason for this, Derek." When I park in the animal clinic parking lot I grab my ring dagger from my bag and run into the clinic. I see Derek and lurch forwards, attempting to stab him somewhere, but he whirls round and grabs my arm, holding it painfully tight. "What the hell are you doing to him?" I scream through the pain when I see Deaton in the chair.

"Sorry, Rae," he says, kicking my legs out from under me. I land painfully on my leg and my ankle turns at a weird angle. I groan in pain as he lifts me into a chair, tying me up so my upper arms and wrists are tied to the arms of the chair. "I thought you were gonna help me question him."

"About what?" I ask, trying to kick out but failing.

"Him being the Alpha," Derek says, hitting Deaton across the head to try and wake him up. Deaton starts to come round and I gasp as Derek lifts the entire chair, as well as Deaton, off of the floor and into the air.

"Oh God!" Deaton exclaims.

"Derek!" I shout, struggling against my restraints.

"Are you protecting someone?" Derek asks.

"All right," Deaton says. "The key to the drug locker is in my pocket."

"I don't want drugs," Derek scoffs. "I want to know why you're lying."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Deaton pleads. "What are you doing to me? What do you want?"

"Derek!" I shout again. "Derek, he doesn't know anything."

"You can't hear his heartbeat, Rae, so shut up!" Derek growls. So I do. "I want to know who you are and who you're protecting."

"What are you doing?" comes Scott's shout. I exhale in relief.

"Scott!" I breathe, and his eyes flicker to me, then away, then back in shock. "Thank God, look, I can't reach my knife, so will you untie me?"

"Scott, get out of here!" Deaton shouts. Derek puts him down and strikes him across the head, so hard that he falls unconscious again.

"Stop! Stop!" Scott shouts.

"Look, when he's conscious, he can keep himself from healing," Derek explains. "But unconscious he can't."

"Are you out of your mind?" Scott asks. My eyes are going between the two, and I've still not been untied. "What are you talking about?"

"You want to know what the spiral means, Scott?" Derek says loudly.

"It's your sign for a vendetta, for revenge," I say to Scott, who gives me a confused look. "Werewolves, I mean. It means the Alpha won't stop killing until he's satisfied."

"You think he's the Alpha?" Scott asks me, nodding at his boss.

"No, I don't," I say, shaking my head. I point at Derek with my restrained hand. "He, however, does."

"We're about to find out." Derek makes to strike him again, but Scott catches his wrist tightly.

"Hit him again, and then you'll see me get angry," Scott warns, shoving Derek's wrist away.

"Do you have a plan?" Derek asks, pacing.

"Just give me an hour," Scott answers as he cleans Deaton's wounds.

"Then what?"

"Meet me at the school. In the parking lot." Scott leaves, and I look to Derek.

"Well, Champ," I say, and his jaw tenses as I say that. "You'd better untie me."

"You're not gonna stab me?" he asks cautiously.

"Depends how long you take to untie me!" I shout. He uses his claw to swipe through the rope and I stand up, shaking my arms free. I hit him in the balls and swipe my hands against one another. "There. Revenge enough?" He just growls at me but proceeds to find cable ties and tie Deaton's hands up, then removing him from the chair and tying him up again.

Stiles P.O.V.

Me and Scott are stood in the parking lot of the school, and my mind is on Rae. I don't know whether Derek is bringing her to the school or whether he's left her at the animal clinic. "This is a terrible idea," I say, and Scott nods.

"Yeah, I know," he says.

"But we're still gonna do it?"

"Can you think of something better?" he asks.

"Personally, I'm a fan of ignoring a problem until eventually it just goes away," I say, using my hand to show the 'going away' part.

"Just make sure we can get inside," Scott says, and I nod.

"I still can't believe you left Rae with Derek," I say, shaking my head.

"She can handle herself."

"If anything happens to her, I swear to God-"

"He's here," Scott says as a slick black car pulls up beside us. I head over to the Jeep and pull out a pair of bolt cutters as Derek and Rae climb out of the car. She's limping slightly, and I feel a bitter hate towards Derek right there, but I choose to ignore it. She hurries over to me and Scott as Scott looks around for his boss. "I can't believe you went with him."

"Hey, someone ad to make sure he didn't do anything else to Deaton," she defends, putting her hands up.

"Where's my boss?" Scott asks, craning his neck to look in the car.

"He's in the back," Derek grumbles.

"Oh, well, he looks comfortable," I say, and Rae snorts. Me and Scott start to walk towards the building, but Rae catches my arm as I walk off and she looks nervously back at Derek.

He takes a step forward with furrowed eyebrows. "Hey, wait. What re you doing?"

"You said I was linked with the Alpha," Scott explains. "I'm gonna see if you're right."

"Stiles," Rae whines, and I kiss her forehead before quickly following Scott into the school.

Once we reach the Principal's office and we find the PA system, Scott leans down so his mouth is close enough to it to be heard but not too muffled.

"Okay, one question," I say as Scott starts to prepare himself to howl. "What are you gonna do if the Alpha doesn't show up?"

"I don't know," he answers honestly.

"And what are you gonna do if he does show up?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know," he answers, honestly again.

"Good plan," I sigh, rubbing my forehead. "Can we just do this quickly, please? Rae is out there alone with your unconscious boss and a psychopathic serial killer."

"You know, there's no proof Derek is a psychopathic serial killer," Scott argues.

I give him one of my 'bitch-really' stares, and he shuts up. "Did the fact that he's knocked your boss unconscious and tied up my girlfriend to a chair to stop her saving him not go through to your brain?"

"So Rae is your girlfriend now?" Scott smirks.

I sigh. "I don't know what we are, man. Will you just do the frickin' howl already!"

"All right," Scott says. "You said that a wolf howls to signal his position to the rest of the pack, right?"

"Right," I nod, "but if you bring him here, does that make you part of his pack?"

"I hope not."

"Yeah, me too." I exhale and give him a reassuring small smile. "All right. All you." He presses the intercom button and howls - well, what he calls a howl. I honestly want to go and drown myself after hearing that, and the worst part is is that when he's done the howl, he actually looks pleased with himself.

"Was that okay?" he asks hopefully. "I mean, that was a howl, right?"

"I - yeah, technically," I say, because it's not really lying. It was technically a howl.

"Well, what did it sound like to you?" he says.

I sigh and decide not to let him have false hope, especially if Derek and Rae heard that. If he doesn't do a better howl than that she'll be taking the piss out of him for a very long time. "Like a cat being choked to death, Scott."

Scott's face drops and he runs his hands through his hair in frustration. "What do I do? How am I supposed to do this?"

"Hey, hey, listen to me," I say in the most commanding voice I can use at that time. "You're calling the Alpha. All right? Be a man. Be a werewolf, not a teen wolf. Be a werewolf. Do it." Then Scott presses the intercom button again, and an amazing roar comes out of his mouth. It rattles the doors to the Principal's office and I can hear it rattling the lockers in the corridors. It must have been heard by Rae. When he's done, he grins up at me. "Now that's a roar!"

"Was that better?" Scott grins.

"Much!" I yell, high-fiving him. "Did you hear the lockers rattling? Or the doors?"

"No, were they?" he asks, and I nod. "Come on, we better go face the wrath of Derek." I laugh with him as we head outside to see a grinning Rae and a stony faced Derek.

Rae hugs Scott and ruffles his hair. "I knew you could do it! Teen Wolf."

"What is that, some kind of nickname for me now?" Scott smirks, and Rae shrugs.

"I'm gonna kill both of you!" Derek threatens. Rae just rolls her eyes along with me but Scott seems concerned. "What the hell was that? What are you trying to do, attract the entire state to the school?"

"Sorry," Scott defends. "I didn't know it was gonna be that loud."

"Yeah, it was loud," I chuckle. "And it was awesome!"

"Shut up," Derek snaps at me.

"Don't be such a sour wolf," Rae groans.

"What'd you do with him?" Scott asks, looking into the car.

Derek's eyebrows furrow. "What? I didn't do anything with him." When he turns and sees the car door open, he curses under his breath.

"Rae?" Scott asks.

"Okay, I would have stopped him, we both know this," Rae says defensively.

Suddenly, five claws burst through Derek's torso. Rae screams slightly and falls back into me, and I shove her behind me, knowing she has a limp. Derek's body is lifted upwards as he spurts blood from his mouth, and the claw holes pouring blood over the large claws. By lifting Derek's body up, the Alpha reveals himself as if he'd turned during the full moon. I turn and make Rae run up to the school as the Alpha throws Derek's body off of his claws and making it that the body lands against a wall, falling to the floor in a pile of leaves, leaving him for dead.

Me and Scott slam the doors closed as Rae pants behind us, but we suddenly realize that we haven't got anything to lock the doors securely with, so we're currently keeping them shut with our hands. I look behind me to see Rae leaning against the lockers, sliding down the wall to sit on the floor and clutch her leg.

Oh, we're screwed.