Chapter 9: Family

Class was finally over and I was now heading back to the house with Kakashi. I found myself gazing at passing families with the slightest tint of longing as I had recalled the nightmare that I had earlier this morning. After everything that had happened over the course of a couple of months, I hadn't exactly had the time to think about nor worry about what was happening with them. Am I ever going to see them again? Do they even know I'm gone? Exactly how did I even get here? Last time I checked, that's supposed to be physically impossible. As time moves on, I'm starting to feel less and less of the possibility that this all could be a dream. It just feels to real.

I shook my head as I walked, eyes trailing over to a kid walking with their older brother. Seeing all these children with their family only made me more aware of how alone I was. Out of everyone here, even in our class, it appeared that I was singled out when it came to one. I had only realized this when we were all waiting for our parents to come pick us up. Everyone had someone to walk home with, the only exception being Obito, who I knew had a grandmother that would be waiting for him back home. I had only allowed myself to ignore it for so long because Sakumo, Kakashi's father, would normally be there to walk us home or greet us. But he too was gone now, something about business to attend to; a mission perhaps. So now, it was just me and Kakashi heading back.

"Hey, we're here already." Kakashi called out to me. I raised my head and stopped walking to see him a couple of feet back and standing in front of the Namikaze residence.

"My bad." I walk back over to him,offering him a closed eye smile and went to walked up the stairs to the house. When I was at the base of the steps, he called out to me once more as he approached me from behind.

"Mind if I join you?"

"I don't mind."

We walked up the stairs and entered the house. The moment that I stepped in, I could already tell that no one else was home. To my left, where the kitchen was, I could see a note resting upon the wooden table. I walked over to it and read it in my head as Kakashi peered over my shoulder. The note was from Minato. Apparently he was out running some errands and wouldn't be back until later. My guess as to why Kushina wasn't home was the fact that she was probably still out on that mission of hers; as she had left earlier this morning when I was preparing for the academy.

The small frown that was on my face from the thought of being alone in the house again soon faded as I had realized that Kakashi was still here too. Speaking of Kakashi... I looked around trying to figure out where the boy has went. As I had caught the faintest movement of the bathroom door closing, I shook my head and walked over to my own room. Allowing myself to be consumed by own thoughts yet again, I found myself back on the question concerning how I got here in the first place. Better yet, what was I doing before I left. My eyes slightly glazed over the room and landed on the pen. I walked over to it and sat at the desk of which it was placed at. Picking it up, I twirled the smaller, skinnier object in my hand as I thought back to that night.

[Now that I think of it.] I thought aloud as I found myself staring at the paper on the corner of my desk. 'I was writing a fanfic wasn't I?' I finished the thought in my head as I grabbed one of the blank lined ones. I placed it in front of me, readied my hand, and started to write up something.

"What are you doing?" Kakashi's words echo clearer through my head as I realized that he was now standing right next to me as his scrutinizing glare was placed upon the paper I was writing on.

Startled, I leaned back in my chair, almost falling over. He caught me before I could though, and pulled the chair back onto all four of its legs. "My-My bad!"

"Why are you apologizing? I just asked what you was doing."

"I was writing a story..."

"Writing a story? Since when do you write? Those don't even look like actual words."

"I write from time to time. Just not often."

"You've been acting weird all day, and it's starting to get to me. What's wrong." His gaze flicked up from my pen and to my eyes now, no longer searching, but piercing almost; like he was looking right through me.

"Sorry..." I mutter again. Instead of meeting his gaze, I let mine flickered down to my hands.

"Stop apologizing and just answer me."

"I've just been feeling a bit homesick, y'know... I just miss my family."

His gaze seems to let up as he leans back a bit. "Right, you did say you weren't from around here... Why aren't they here with you?" He paused, as if just realizing what he just asked. "They're not... are they?"

"I-..." I bit my lip as I took in the question. 'Why weren't they with me? If I somehow managed to end up here, why not them? Is is possible that they're here too? Surely they couldn't be,  you know...' Instinctively, my eyes began to well up at the thought and I quickly wiped them from my eyes before they could fall. Feeling Kakashi's gaze return, I looked him in the eyes and answered truthfully. "I don't know."

With this one phrase, Kakashi seemed to understand the gist of the situation, but fired more questions my way anyways.

"How'd you get separated from them?"

"Not sure, I just woke up and found myself in the forest a little near the village."

Kakashi crossed his arms, eyes closed in thought for a bit. He opened them again and looked back at the paper I was writing on.

"This place that you're from, is that the written language there?"

"Yeah..."

"Why are you writing?"

"Well, before I woke up here I remember writing a story, so I thought writing one might jog my memory a bit. I feel like it could have something to do with everything..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, some of the things that happened in the story happens when I got here, soo..."

"You think that you have magical stories?" He raised an eyebrow at me, his voice almost sounding mocking.

Hearing the idea aloud made me blush in embarrassment as I looked to the side.

"You were serious? That's a bit far fetched don't you think?"

"You're right."

"... I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try though..." His voice became softer, making me glance at him through the corner of my eyes in shock. "What harm could be done, anyways? Go on and write."

"O-okay." I went back over to the paper and continued writing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Find out what happens next chapter!