Chapter Nineteen

I don't know when or how, but at some point I did fall asleep to wake up later to be in Jinx's arm, tear stains down my eyes. Jinx's eyes were closed and he was sleeping peacefully so I slowly untangled myself from his arms and crawled over next to Castro.

I pulled my legs up to my chest and sighed. "You really were a great guy," I said to Castro. "You saved me plenty of times, and helped me so much. Why would you choose to break my heart?"

I looked at our surroundings and got an idea. "But I'm still going to give you what you deserve," I whispered as I stood up.

I jogged over to a small field of flowers and picked a handful, quickly walking back to Castro. I carefully placed them around his body and put the rest on his chest.

I thought for a while for something else, to make it extra special, before I heard a low, quite voice behind me.

"What about you get some different coloured flowers as well as them one's, to make it more pretty?" I spun around to see Jinx sitting upright.

I smiled at him. "Good idea," I replied softly. "Do you want to help me give him a proper acknowledgement?" 

***

I smiled greatly as I looked over the work we just did. Castro looked fantastic with all the flowers in sort of a sculpted way. Jinx stood beside me, his smile as wide as mine.

He put his arm around my shoulder and closed his eyes. "Rest in paradise, Castro. You deserve it," He whispered.

"We trust you'll watch over us and we promise you that we will make a change to the way things work with vampires," I whispered.

With his eyes still closed, Jinx chuckled and smiled in satisfaction. "For you!" He said loudly.

"For you!" I repeated. I hesitated before resting my head on Jinx's shoulder.

"Shall we go and fulfill this promise?" I asked Jinx. He nodded as I took one last look at Castro's lifeless body before running off into the forest, beckoning for Jinx to come. He bowed down and touched Castro's shoulder one more time, before following suit.

We walked slowly through the forest, not exactly sure where we were going. I asked Jinx but all he did was put a finger on his lips and signalling for me to trust him and follow.

We walked for another two hours in dead silence before Jinx finally walked out of the mess of trees and into a wide open space. It was very unusual as it was just a wide space with nothing but a bonfire in the middle.

"Yes!" Jinx shouted out in glee. "I knew I would find it!" He let out a whoop and started laughing like a child as he ran to the bonfire, circling around it.

My legs felt so tired but I walked over to Jinx. "What are you talking about?" I asked.

He looked at me with a big grin. "Okay um, where should i start... um, in training they had told us that if we did ever go to hell and you needed to connect with the men and women running this place, you had to find the bonfire in the clearing and I found it!" He held out my hand and high-fived it.

"Okay... so how does that help us?" I asked. 

He rolled his eyes, but more in a friendly way. "Every fortnight the sun points in a certain direction that lights the bonfire and- I don't know how it works- but the men and women can actually connect with you!" 

He sighed. "Castro would have loved to see it work.." 

"So do we just wait around until it is lit?" I asked.

"Well, that is a simple way of putting it, but as well as being the most helpful place in hell, it's also the most dangerous," He replied. "See, the bonfire is only lit for roughly 10 minutes and many Wilds are usually eager to use it, so we would have to fend them ALL off so that we can get it in." 

I paused, taking in what he just said before nodding slowly. "Well on the bright side, we know it will be getting close when more Wilds come, so I have a feeling that we going to have to wait a while, since no one is here," I responded.

"True, but are you up for the challenge?" He asked. I had always told myself that if you want something, you're going to have to earn it.

I grinned. "You've got yourself a partner!"

He looked at me impressively and took out his gun. "Best battle partner I've ever seen!" 

I cocked my head. "Usually don't hear that!" I replied. "Anyway, we can't just stay here in the open. Where we going?" 

He turned around, looking at our surroundings. "Follow me," he said as he ran off. I followed close behind and we ran back into the woods where he stopped in front of two fallen down trees. "Here," He said under his breath.

I shrugged as I sat down, dog tired. "Don't worry, I'll take first watch," He offered. I nodded thankfully as he came down and sat next to me, snuggling up next to me. His body heat warmed me and my head fell onto his chest as I slowly closed my eyes. I felt safe next to Jinx and fell asleep quickly.

It only felt like five minutes, but when Jinx lightly shook me, I realised the sky was dark.

"Time to switch shifts," Jinx whispered tiredly. 

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

About 4 hours. Can you wake me up a few hours after dawn?" I nodded and Jinx's head automatically dropped onto my shoulder and his eyes closed, only for me to hear him lightly snoring about five minutes later.

I stayed alert, finding it actually quite easy not to drift off. I held my dagger tightly and made sure Jinx's pistol stayed beside him. I looked around, keeping a lookout for any noises. I didn't find much going on, so I mostly ended up daydreaming.

***

It wasn't until a few hours later that I started hearing snapping twigs and hushed voices. I was snapped back into reality and slowly stood up, careful not to wake Jinx or make any noise.

I kept my dagger ready as I looked behind a tree to find two Wilds waltzing over to the bonfire.

"-five days before the bonfire will light, so why come so soon? The other Wilds who come early will kill all the Grooms, so why bother?" A little girl complained to an older Wild.

"Yeah, and then how will we chase off them Wilds?" The older Wild retorted. I guess she was a girl as well, since her voice was quite femine (though she did not resemble a girl at all).

The little girl folded her ams. "Well we are permanently stuck down here, so I don't see why we should try to get our hopes up by pleading the get OUT."

I truly felt sorry for the poor girl, even if she was a Wild. I mean, we were most likely going to have to kill her as well.

I considered waking up Jinx, but for some reason, my legs didn't obey. Instead, I sprinted up to the Wilds from behind, stabbing the older Wild in the head with my dagger.

A/N: Cliffhanger? I thought it was! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and please give any advice on your mind! Either put it in the comments or PM me! Love you guys! xx