Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I struggled against the tight grip of the person. I kneed them in the stomach and they fell to the ground.

"Allison, chill. It's just me."

On the ground in front of me was Vanessa, groaning in pain.

"Vanessa, why the hell would you cover my mouth? Couldn't you have just called my name softly?" I complained with slight annoyance.

She smiled sheepishly, "I'm sorry, I knew that if I grabbed your arm you would scream, so to prevent that noise from happening, I covered your mouth. Sorry if I scared you."

I sighed, "It's okay. Lets head back to the cabin."

Honestly who the hell covers your mouth? I was struggling to understand the logic of Vanessa. I guess I could cut her some slack, it was dark and I would not have been able to see her if she grabbed my arm, so I probably would have screamed. However, deep inside I had a feeling it was done purposely.

~

The next day after the sleepover, was Sunday. Currently, I was sitting down in the dining table and eating some pizza. Vanessa dropped me off at my house earlier today. 

My brother came home and slapped a newspaper on the table in front of me.

"What?" I asked, taking a bite of my pizza.

Josh rolled his eyes and pointed at the newspaper, "Read page 2."

I put my half eaten pizza down and picked up the newspaper.

"....16 year old Samantha Evans was found dead in Meadow forests at  5 o' clock, this afternoon. Officers are still trying to find evidence of the suspect. The investigation is going on and will still be going on all this week..."

I stood there shocked. Samantha was with us in the car. She went safely into the cabin and went safely home after the sleepover. She couldn't have died. It doesn't make sense. How could this happen?

"Wasn't that one of the girls at your sleepover?" Josh asked, sitting down and taking a slice of pizza.

I was about to reply to him, but the phone rang.

Josh picked it up quickly.

"Okay. Yes, yes okay. I will make sure of it. Okay, bye." He hung up.

Silence.

"Well. Who was that?" I asked, curiously.

"That was the police. They want all the girls from the sleepover to come to the police station on Wednesday. Including you."

I froze.

"Calm down Allison. They just want to ask you some questions. It's not like you killed her anyway." He said with a laugh. Of course my brother would try to crack some jokes while I was panicking. 

I suddenly didn't feel like eating my pizza anymore.

~

Monday came along and everything was tense. You could tell the atmosphere in school was rough.

That was including me. I was exhausted because all night I was trying to put the pieces together, but couldn't figure out anything. It simply just doesn't make sense. She came with us to the cabin and the Vanessa took me and her back home on sunday. How is it possible that hours later, she was found in the forest dead? 

I walked to my locker and exchanged my books for my next class.

"Hey."

I turned to find Jared standing in front of me with a smile. I smiled back tiredly and slammed my locker closed.