Chapter 17

RECAP

We made it to my Dads office and we quickly used the keys to get in. Luckily, the office was empty so we headed straight to the room I was in last time.

"Start working through the boxes." Jared stated, as he shuffled through everything.

I opened up the boxes and read through the millions of papers that were in these files.

"I can't find anything, Jared." I turned around to find his eyes wide, staring at the papers.

"Jared, what's wrong? Tell me!" I exclaimed.

"Your dad is behind the murders. He ordered Samantha and Courtney to be killed." He said.

My heart started racing. I couldn't believe it. My dad was the one behind all of this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 17

"Where does it say that?" I asked Jared, in disbelief.

He pointed at the files, "This paper is a transcript of all the events leading up to both of their murders. If we read more, we may be able to find out why your dad ordered this."

"That doesn't explain everything though. I feel like everyone's involved in a secret, and I am tired of it. I'm going to talk to Kayla to see if she can help me." I rolled my eyes. I was tired of all the secrets.

"We can't trust them. The less they know, the better." Jared states, looking at me with caution. Although he was right, I couldn't handle these secrets anymore.

I shook my head, "I need to ask them, Jared. I can't live like this."

I turned around, but he grabbed my waist to stop me. I felt my breath hitch.

"Please, trust me. Let's find out more before we jump to others." Our eyes interlocked for a second, before we began to hear a loud beeping noise. It was the sound of the alarm. They must have detected our movement here.

Jared quickly grabbed the files with the transcript and stuffed it into his shirt. I looked around to see if I could find anything.

"We have to get out, now!" Jared grabbed my hand, as we ran out of the room.

I heard some deep voices as we continued to run out through the door, but I couldn't decipher the voices, but they sounded unfamiliar.

I stood there for a second, attempting to listen but Jared quickly grabbed me and shut the door.

"Why did you do that?! I was trying to listen!" I growled, removing myself from his grasp.

"We need to go! They will follow us." He quickly raced out of the area and we got into the car.

We finally got to my house, and opened the door to find Josh pacing around the living room.

Josh glared at me, "Where the fuck were you?

I shrugged, "Hanging out with Jared."

Jared looked at my brother with caution, wondering what he was going to do.

Josh rolled his eyes, "I don't think we've met. I'm Josh, her brother."

Jared smiled, "Hello, I'm Jared."

After pretending to be polite, Josh turned to me, "I need to talk to you in private."

Jared was about to leave before I grabbed his hand, "Whatever you say, you can say it in front of him."

I could feel the anger rolling off of him, but his face remained composed, "I don't have time for your shit. Dad's office was broken into. We're in deep shit."

Jared and I froze. 

Well, fuck.