Chapter 21

Chapter 21

She gulped again and sighed. "Allison, your father is a part of the most dangerous drug company in the country."

Suddenly, I could no longer feel the air in my lungs. My heart rate accelerated, and my arms started shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't believe what I had just heard.

"Allison, are you okay? Allison!" Jared shouted.

That was the last thing I heard before my eyes shut and I was no longer conscious.

I woke up to the feeling of a wet cloth on my head. I looked up to find myself laying on Jared's lap. He had fallen asleep, but his arm remained around me, protecting me from falling off the bed.

My head hurt and my muscles were sore. I suddenly remember why I had a panic attack and I shuddered slightly. I felt Jared move slightly in his sleep. Fuck, I needed to be careful not to wake him up.

I tried getting up slightly but Jared's arm was pretty stiff. I sighed, how was I going to get out of this awkward position? I looked around and realized that we were in Kayla's home.

Suddenly, my heart started to race and I couldn't help but release myself from Jared's hold. I was too young to be dealing with this.

I sat up, and Jared's eyes opened as he suddenly realized that I was no longer near him.

His eyes widened as he saw me sitting up on the bed, "Where's your wet cloth? I have to grab some medicine, and water. I-" He started to look around but I quickly interjected before he went crazy.

"Jared, it's okay. I'm okay." I lied, trying to ease his worries.

He sighed and sat up, "I don't want you to dig anymore into this stuff, Al."

My heart slightly raced at his nickname but my anger quickly intercepted, "Jared, I have to find out more about my family, it's my right to know. And Josh is dating Jane. Jane cheated on him, remember? He needs to know how dangerous she truly is."

"For fucks sake, you had a panic attack and fainted in the middle of the coffee shop. You clearly can't handle this." Jared slightly raised his voice.

I flinched as the change of tone and suddenly my headache wouldn't stop pounding.

"I can't do this right now, Jared. I'm sorry but if you don't want to help me, then don't. But I am doing this. With or without you." I softly stated. I didn't want to fight with him, heck, I had developed serious feelings for him.

The look of hurt on Jared's face was unmatched. I felt guilty for what I had said, but it was the truth. Although I was too young to have to deal with this, I needed to know more. I couldn't live like this. We heard a cough and turned around to find Kayla with a plate of food.

"Bad time?" She asked with a sheepish smile.

Before Jared could nod, I shook my head, "No, perfect timing actually."

Kayla cleared her throat at the awkward situation and came towards the bed.

"Here's a sandwich and fries." She laid it in front of me and sat down on the chair next to the window.

"Kayla, why are you helping me?" I asked her softly.

She shrugged, "I lost my sister because of this, Allison. It's only right that I help you uncover the truth about your family."

I smiled at her gratefully, I never would've expected her to be so kind to me.

I suddenly realized that my parents were probably bombarding me with calls. I looked around for my phone, but couldn't find it.

I looked up to find Jared holding out my phone. I quickly grabbed it and looked at my missed calls. I had none, which was very interesting.

Kayla cleared her throat, "I know I haven't finished telling you everything. The reason I brought you to my house is because it's the only second safe place in this town."

I nodded, "I know. You guys both probably think I'm shattered glass, but that's not true. We need to get to the bottom of this before my family leaves for a business trip again."

Kayla nodded in agreement, "I'm inviting Vanessa over to help us."

Jared's eyes raised slightly but I quickly nodded, "The more, the better."

Jared's jaw clenched as I ignored his reaction. His mouth turned up into a smirk, "That's fine."

I narrowed my eyes, this would be complicated.

______________________________________________________________________________