Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Kayla shook her head, "No way. That's why we're going to come up with a plan to take them down. He deserves it after what he's done."

"Them?" Jared stated, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"There's more people helping him, we just don't know who. But we will find out." Kayla said, crossing her arms.

Well, here we go.

After hours of planning at Kayla's house, Jared dropped me off home later in the night. He still was upset at me, so we didn't say a word to each other.

"Thank you for the ride, Jared." I tensely stated, wondering what his response would be.

He nodded and I quickly shut his car door. I wanted to say something, but before I could, he had already driven off. I watched as his car left the driveway in silence.

I quietly attempted to open my front door, without making much noise. It was really late, so I assumed that most of my family was asleep.

I looked around to find my living room empty, and decided that I was in the clear.

"Coming home so late, sister?" Josh's voice boomed from the kitchen. I turned around to find his arms crossed.

"Yes, I was hanging out with my friends." I rolled my eyes. I looked into his eyes and realized that Jane could potentially hurt him. I doubt he has any idea of what's going on. I wanted to tell him. Despite everything, I couldn't bear to see him in pain.

"Josh?" I whispered. For a second, a slight flash of regret was in his eyes. I wasn't sure if that regret was from how much our relationship has shifted these past few months, but I sure hoped it was.

"I better get to sleep. Good night." Josh quickly ended the conversation, cutting the moment off quickly. I wanted to tell him about Jane and Cameron, but how was I to explain why I was in Dad's office?

I nodded and quickly headed to my room. I laid in my bed that night, my thoughts overpowering my ability to fall asleep.

I slowly felt the ease in my heart slip away. The pieces of hope and innocence that once laid there were no longer strongly sealed. My heart had been cut open to the pain of wondering how my life could fall apart in a span in a few months.

As these thoughts consumed me, slowly my eyes began to shut.

The next morning was the start of another week of school. Because of everything going on, I barely had the time to focus on my grades. I used to be an A student, but my grades had fallen to barely passing. I quickly put on a shirt and black ripped jeans, while shoveling my hair into a ponytail.

I got ready and went downstairs to find my parents, Jane and Josh eating breakfast. I widened my eyes, but quickly concealed them at the sight of Jane. I poured myself a cup of orange juice, while warming up a piece of toast.

"Isn't it a bit rude not to acknowledge our guest, Allison?" My father stated, with a glare. Josh nodded in agreement, while my mother stayed silent.

I smiled fakely, "Good morning, Jane."

She smirked, "Hello Allison. I hope you have a good day." Her voice sounded so believable, I almost forgot that she was tied to my father's business.

"Allison, we have some news before you head to school." My mother stated softly, with a smile.

"We are all going on a family trip this coming weekend." My father said sternly.

My heart stopped for a second, what did he mean?

"I can't. I have to study this weekend for my exam." I shook my head in disagreement. I didn't want to go anywhere near my family, especially in unfamiliar territory.

My mother gently grabbed my father's arm, "Grant, maybe we can just leave her with a family friend?"

Josh shook his head, "She has been sneaking out these past few weeks, we can't trust her to be on her own."

I glared at him, "How dare you! You have the nerve to judge me when your own girlfriend is cheating on you?" I blurted.

My mother's eyes widened, "Allison Dawson, how dare you accuse Jane of this!"

Josh's jaw clenched in anger while Jane's facial expression remained neutral.

Jane smiled gently, "No worries Mrs. Dawson, I worry for her. She doesn't seem okay these days."

My father nodded in agreement, "I agree, and this is why you will be coming with us on this trip. If you do not, we will not hesitate to take actions to get you the help you need."

My head began pounding and the air in my lungs decreased. My mother looked at me worriedly, "Allison, honey. Are you okay?"

My mother started walking towards me, but my father grabbed her arm to stop her. I quickly grabbed my bag and left the house to reach the bus to school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------