Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Kayla nodded in agreement, "I'm inviting Vanessa over to help us."

Jared's eyes raised slightly but I quickly nodded, "The more, the better."

Jared's jaw clenched as I ignored his reaction. His mouth turned up into a smirk, "That's fine."

I narrowed my eyes, this would be complicated.

Kayla, Jared and I ate and relaxed until Vanessa came later that day. To be honest, I don't think they thought I was ready to hear any more information. As Kayla and Jared joked and laughed, I couldn't help but smile. I was lucky to have people that cared about me.

After our conversation, Jared had not talked to me directly or sat near me. It was clear that he was still upset.

The doorbell rang and Vanessa entered. She was greeted by all of us sitting near the couches, with drinks in hand.

Vanessa scoffed, "Finally! I've been waiting for you guys to remember that I exist."

I sighed, "I'm sorry, Vanessa but a lot is going on."

She nodded in understanding, "Kayla told me on the phone, are you doing okay?"

"Yes, I'm ready to find out more information." I lied. I was not ready, I dreaded finding out more.

Vanessa sat next to Jared on the couch and smirked, "Hi, Jared."

Jared smirked back, "Fancy seeing you here Vanessa."

My chest tightened in annoyance as I saw them flirt with each other. "Anyway, can we please get to it? What happened to your sister?"

Kayla nodded, "Courtney dropped out of high school, and needed extra money. She was never a hard worker, but rather wanted the easy way out. She started to date a guy, and he introduced her to your dad. That's when she began to help selling drugs."

I couldn't help feel myself losing my breath, but I continued to ask more questions, "I don't understand, his office and business never had an ounce of that evidence."

Vanessa nodded, I guess she had already known this.

Kayla shook her head, "He uses the office as a ploy."

"Why did he kill Courtney?" Jared asked her. I quickly glanced at him, missing his presence near mine.

"She didn't abide by his rules. I don't know the full story, but she must have made him mad for him to do that." Kayla stated.

"Why would he kill her over something like that? It doesn't make sense." Vanessa frowned.

Kayla started to feel a little tense, "Samantha was also a part of the drug company. That's why she wasn't dropped off home during the sleepover. She was murdered by one of his men. "

My shoulders tensed, "Maybe it wasn't my father. How can we be so sure?"

Everyone looked at me with sympathy. We all knew he was behind it, but no one wanted to say anything. 

"Why not just call the cops?" Vanessa asked.

Jared scoffed, "You really think the cops would believe us?"

Kayla shook her head, "No way. That's why we're going to come up with a plan to take them down. He deserves it after what he's done."

"Them?" Jared stated, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"There's more people helping him, we just don't know who. But we will find out." Kayla said, crossing her arms.

Well, here we go.