Chapter I

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Siren." She trembles before him, her eyes an ice cold that he never would have believed if she was not stood before him. This was not his Siren; this was not the girl that loves him. Those grey eyes of hers had never looked at him with anything other than warmth and adoration. Not until now. Now her grey eyes are bleak and cold, it sends ice through his veins. "Siren." He beseeches, gazing up at her from the ground where he has been forced to his knees. She shivers at that name coming from his mouth and her hands grasp at the material of her skirt. Her knuckles turn white. He sees all of this but still he pleads with her with his dark green eyes. A tear runs down her pale cheek.

She shakes her head, her gaze shifting to those that hold him down. She squashes down a sob. Her eyes well up with unshed tears but she does not allow them to fall.

"Siren." Her eyes fall back to him and he sees the grimace fall onto the lips that have always smiled; the eyes that have always twinkled and it fits there with great difficulty. Her eyes flick down to the still wet blood soaking his white shirt and his red stained hands tied in front of him. Now the tears run down her cheeks, a never ending stream.

"Never call me that again." She turns away, too miserable to wipe away the wetness on her cheeks. She nods her head and he is dragged to his feet and marched away from her. He does not call out. She has believed the worst of him. She would not even allow him to explain.

They bind him tightly to a large oak tree with rough hands and he winces as the rope cuts into his stomach. He does not fight back though; he does not make their job any more difficult. It would give them reason to kill him there and then. He cannot allow that to happen. Not until he has told his Siren the truth. Not until he has said goodbye to his brothers. Next they secure his wrists along a rope attached to his ankles. The knots are tight and complicated. He has no chance of undoing them.

He allows his head to fall back onto the bark and sighs deeply. He wants nothing more than to wash away the blood that coats his chest. It is not his blood. There is not one injury on him. The blood is another's. The blood is Siren's brother's. He is the reason that she now avoids looking at him with determination. He is the reason tears continue to slide down her cheeks and drip onto her knees she is hugging to her chest. Her shoulders shake and then he hears a sound that rips apart his inside. She sobs, the sound driving out from deep in her throat filled with anguish and sorrow.

He loves her with all that he can. He has loved her for several years. She loved him too. Now as he watches her, he knows that she will never love him again. Her belief is that he has torn away her brother, the brother closest to her in age, the one that read her bedtime stories and protected her from her other brother's pranks growing up.

Everything has gone wrong. They started this journey with the intention of going to her parents. Logan was going to ask for her hand in marriage, he was going to do everything he could in order for them to say yes. It was not going to be easy. The Ricell family is powerful, rich and their lands stretch as far as the eye can see. They were also greedy and cruel when they needed to be and even when they did not. Logan is part of the Usani family whose lands are wealthy and good. Their families have always had a strained relationship; one action could result in war. Despite all of that, Logan had chosen to make the long journey alongside his love and her three brothers to gain her hand.

He knew that could mean he would never return home. He hoped he would marry her and remain with her. But now, it looks like he will not return home for another reason. He will be executed for his crime. He shudders. The Ricells are not known for giving quick deaths. He would be starved first, tortured perhaps before being killed. That was if he was fortunate. He would not be fortunate. To them he has killed their youngest son. He would suffer and it would cause a war.