Chapter XXXI

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The early hours of the morning stretch before them. The three of them sit out below the stars, leaning against the back walls of the cottage. A few candles scattered around provide them with scant light. Not many words had been passed between them. The silence was accepted by all of them and they allowed it to continue as each minute ticked by. All of them were lost in their own thoughts. The cool air does not bother them, they are barely aware of it.

Finally Hunter sighs and a smile breaks out on Logan's face. Someone had to end the quiet. It just so happened that the one usually most silent was the one. "It is getting late, or early depending on how you look at it." Logan muses out loud and Hunter rolls his eyes with humour. Logan nudges Zara who sits cuddled up into his side, her head resting against his shoulder. "You should return home."

"Why?" She whines before burying her head in his side. Logan chuckles and strokes her hair. He presses a kiss on her hair and she slowly looks up. Her thumb brushes against his lower lip. Hunter abruptly coughs loudly, his scowl alerting them both to the fact that neither of them is alone. Zara laughs but smothers it against Logan's shirt.

"Your parents and your brother will eventually notice your absence." He tells her but she wrinkles up her nose.

"And? You are innocent and they all know it. Why would it matter that I am away from home when I am with you?" Zara argues; her mouth set with defiance. Logan grins and gently caresses her cheek. She melts into his touch and Hunter rejects the urge to vomit.

"We should not push them. Huge steps have been made today; let us not ruin the progress. Return home and I will visit you tomorrow when we will be in full sight of your family. We do not need to sneak around, it will only make us look as if we are doing something wrong." He calmly explains before pressing a light kiss on her forehead. She groans and pulls away from him.

"I understand where you are coming from." She reluctantly says. "I will see you later today." She smiles and rises to her feet.

"I will escort you home." Hunter states before Logan can offer. Her eyes slip to him. In the scant light it is difficult to tell exactly how genuine such an offer is. "Zara, are you coming or not?" He starts to stride away and Logan shakes his head, nonplussed by his brother's impatience.

"Goodbye Logan." She calls out as she hurries after Hunter. When she catches up she settles into his long legged pace. "Thank you Hunter."

"You do not need to thank me. But if you wish to, then please remain silent." Hunter sharply requests. Zara does not take offense. He sounds tired and he must have been waiting for hours to go to sleep.

He walks her right up to the entrance doors and waits until she is safely inside before making his way back to the cottage. The candles have been snuffed out and Logan has clearly already gone up to bed. Hunter settles down on the floor with a pillow and a blanket. His eyes shutter closed and within moments he is dead to the world.

He did not hear footsteps following him from the manor.

"Hunter." His name jolts him out of sleep and he leaps to his feet. Then it registers that it was not his brother's voice, nor was it someone he cares about. A scowl settles across his features, making each one stand out harshly. Gavriel however smiles and glances at the ceiling. No sound is heard from above. "You have information to report?"

"This could not have waited till morning?" Hunter growls lowly. His body weighs him down with fatigue and his brain feels clouded and heavy. He tries to wake himself up a little. He needs to be sharp and on the ball.