Chapter XII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Dawn comes around slowly. Her eyes flicker open and rapidly close. The sunlight burns her eyes. Her head pounds. She groans as she slowly stretches out her limbs. They protest with a dull ache but she ignores the foreign feeling and stretches until the ache numbs. Again she attempts to open her eyes but this time by only a fraction. Another groan escapes her throat.

"Looks like sleeping beauty has awoken." A male voice comments, his tone humorous. Dawn rolls onto her side and frowns at him. His mouth tweaks up into a friendly smirk. "Took you long enough." Dawn covers her face with her hand as the sunlight continues to stream into the room. Through the gaps in her fingers she surveys the room. It is small, light and airy. A few clothes sit in a pile in the corner of the room. A chair sits by the bed. This is not her room.

"Where am I?" She asks, her voice coming out thick. He takes a seat in the chair and holds out a glass of water. "The light..." she trails off. She takes the offered drink. He stands and leans over her and draws the curtains closed. He takes his seat again and leans back. He looks tired with dark bags hanging under his slightly dulled blue eyes.

"I think the better question is; what happened?" He ruffles his hair and pulls a face. "Dawn," he sighs deeply, "I found you on the outskirts of the forest, unconscious. Tommy was growling and refused to let me near you. I had to get Frederick to come so we could hold him off while I got you."

"I am sorry."

He continues as if she has not spoken, "You have been asleep for over sixteen hours and that is from when I found you. What happened?" He raises his eyebrows at her.

Dawn slowly eases herself up and sits on the bed. "So this is your room?" She smiles softly and he sighs. "Just answering my question. Thank you for looking after me, you do not look like you have slept."

"That does not matter. I could not wake you up, I really feel as if you owe me an explanation."

Dawn opens her mouth and shuts it, gaping like a goldfish. How does she explain what happened? Should she tell a story, true or false? She is saved from answering for a moment as Frederick enters the room. He is wearing his glasses and he pushes them up his nose when he sees her.

"She has awoken." He comments. "Benjamin, give her some space." Benjamin stands up and paces to the door and back. Frederick shakes his head. "Sorry, he is overreacting." Dawn smothers a giggle at the twins switching from their usual characters.

"I am not overreacting, she was unconscious and in the forest, alone. I have a right to know why." Benjamin shoots back. Dawn takes a sip of her drink.

"But now she is awake and in our home. She will soon leave and go back to her life. Nothing to overreact about now is there?" Frederick quips back. Benjamin glares at his twin.

"Dawn!" Benjamin turns to her and Dawn shrinks back at the irritation covering his face. He softens his voice, "I was worried about you, please tell me what happened." As she remains silent his mouth hardens. "Was it anything to do with the Usani's in our land?"

Frederick rolls his eyes and sits himself down at the foot of the bed. Dawn gulps.

"I do not know. Tommy ran away from me last night and so I followed him. I think I saw a man in the forest and then everything went black. I do not know anything else. I am sorry." She finishes the glass of water and holds out the empty glass to Frederick. He takes it. "Thank you for looking after me." She slips of off the bed and gently touches his arm as she passes him.

Benjamin frowns but a warning look from Frederick prevents him from stopping her. However he does follow her downstairs and to the door. "Was this anything to do with the letter I gave to Lord Wolfe?"