Chapter XXXVII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Would you be able to forgive her?" Logan asks and Hunter grinds his jaw.

"It is not exactly in my nature to forgive." Hunter tilts his head. "But it is in yours. I cannot tell you what to do. Can you imagine spending the rest of your life without her by your side or do you need to be with her? Do you think you can ever trust her again? You really have to think this through." Logan does not speak and Hunter sighs, finding the situation far too awkward. "I think you should go home."

"That is a good idea. We should return to the cottage." Logan speaks but clearly he is just answering as he should, his mind is far too cluttered with other thoughts and feelings.

"No." Hunter reaches out and grips his brother's shoulder. "I think you should return home. You can talk it through with Sparrow or Bear. They will help you figure out what you want to do."

Bit by bit the words make sense in Logan's fuddled brain. His glare returns full force. "You, not we? What are you intending to do Hunter?"

Hunter shrugs his broad shoulders and his eyes blacken. Logan is sure he can almost see the wall that had crumbled down build itself back up. He lets out a sound of irritation. This is not the little brother he prefers. "I made a deal." He says, his words empty, emotionless.

"I think the deal has come to an end. We know who killed him, accident or not. Surely you do not believe he can still hurt me. He is guilty and he covered it up. We are the ones in power."

"You really think it is that simple?" Hunter rolls his eyes and crosses his arms across his toned chest. "He felt guilt in order for him to execute your release but we still made a deal. I am not backing out because they can still turn this back on you. They could say that I paid off the witness, that I told him what to say. They could pay him to tell another story. Nothing is ever as simple as it looks."

"But Zara will tell the truth."

"How can you be so sure? She told the truth to you, that is good, but she has not admitted it to her parents or her people. She is scared and her brother knows exactly where to push and where to frighten her. I am not breaking my side of the deal." Hunter argues easily.

Logan groans and stares up at the sky. He has never felt so angry in his whole life. It just seems to be one thing after the other since he entered the Ricell lands. He has almost reached his breaking point. The darkening sky does not help lift the feeling rooted deep in his chest, entangled in his heart. "What if he demands that you take the fall?"

Hunter drops his gaze, unwilling to answer.

"Hunter." Logan speaks sharply. "Tell me that you will not pretend you murdered Jasiel."

"I cannot." Logan grabs Hunter's shoulders and shakes him. Hunter refuses to meet his gaze. "I am not important enough to go to war for and I will not be missed. You should return home."

Hunter blinks in shock as his head is roughly snapped to the side. His fingers come up to brush his jaw where his brother has clipped him. The skin stings. The surprise colours his irises blue and Logan nods. "Good, you are back. Speak such foolish words again and I will tell all of our older brothers. This ends here, you understand me? I am not letting you out of my sight. You stay then I stay. I return home then you will certainly be at my side."

"Logan." Hunter winces as the movement causes little tremors of pain.

"Be silent. We are going to the Ricell manor." Logan clasps Hunter forearm and strides off back through the woods. Hunter follows, silent as ordered. Shock is the biggest factor to his mouth remaining closed. Never has he seen Logan dangerous. It just does not fit his character.