Chapter III

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy.

She pauses outside Zara's door and brushes down her skirts. She also releases her hair from its binds and it falls around her shoulders in a snowy veil. Her hair is a white blonde that mirrors the light it catches. She knocks softly and waits for a reply.

"Come in." she hears the muted sad reply and she tugs at her cheek with her teeth. She opens the door and steps in, her mouth already open preparing to say something. She freezes. Zara looks up from her bed, fresh tears still streaming down her face. That she can handle; she expected her friend to be miserable when she returned. Jasiel was much loved by his people and much loved by his family. His loss would be a hard one to get over and Zara has always been sensitive.

No, that is not what makes her freeze. The presence of another sat beside Zara on the bed is what makes her freeze. But of course she would be here. A situation like this gives her the chance to be closer to this family, closer to Zara, it gives her an opportunity to manipulate. Ebony raises a thin black eyebrow in her direction, a smirk close to the surface. Dawn feels heat rising to her cheeks and that unlocks her feet from the ground. She crosses the room to Zara who stands and falls into Dawn's open arms. Dawn hugs her friend close and raises her eyebrows at Ebony who scowls. It only lasts moments, though, as Zara pulls away and looks at her friend.

"Have you heard the news?" Her voice breaks and Dawn takes her hand and squeezes it in sympathy.

"Everyone will know by the end of the day. I am deeply sorry for your loss." Zara squeezes her hand back and hugs her again.

She whispers into her ear so Ebony is not able to hear, "And I am deeply sorry for yours." They pull away and both their eyes are filled with tears. Dawn blinks them away quickly, unwilling to reveal weakness around Ebony. Ebony stretches her arms above her head and stands. Dawn regards her warily but Zara gives her a weak smile.

"My brother would love to see you, Zara. Please promise me that you will see him." Ebony says in that sweet manipulative voice of hers. Dawn supresses the urge to shudder. "He has missed you so much." Again she supresses the urge to gag. From what she saw while Zara had been gone for months, he had shown little interest in where she could be. However she stays silent. She is just Zara's friend and her word would be overthrown by Ebony's.

"Not today. Maybe tomorrow." Zara replies tiredly. Ebony's eyes narrow a fraction but she produces a sympathetic smile. She touches Zara's hand and nods, her honey eyes kind. Dawn turns her face away so that she can sigh.

"I will let him know. Take all the time you need, I know that my brother's love for you will help him understand." Ebony pats Zara's hand before moving away. "Sleep well Zara." She looks pointedly at Dawn who stands her ground.

"Thank you, you too." Zara reaches out and takes Dawn's hand in her own. "Stay with me for a little while?"

"Of course, I would do nothing else." Ebony frowns when Zara turns her back to her and gets back on the bed, her head hitting the pillow. Dawn lifts her chin and places a bright smile there.

"Goodbye Ebony." Soon after the words are spoken she has gone and the door thuds shut behind her. Dawn climbs onto the bed and lies down beside Zara.

They clutch onto each other's hands, unwilling to break the silence that has fallen with clumsy words or apologies. They have been close friends since they were children. So when Dawn shakes her head slightly and closes her eyes, Zara knows words do not yet need to be spoken. She closes her eyes also and it takes a little while but she does fall asleep. When the soft rhythmic breathing falls upon Dawn's ears, she opens her eyes. Carefully she removes her hand from Zara's and sits up.