Chapter II

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

Seconds tick by; minutes drift by until finally a noise is heard. It gets louder and louder. The sound of heels clicking across the marble floors has all the men straightening up, their heads held high. Logan studies their positions from the corner of his eyes, searching for weak spots. A door is thrown open and in walks a woman. Logan looks to her and a frown grows across his brow. She strides in, her gaze meeting each and every one present before she drops her gaze to him. One perfectly shaped eyebrow raises at him on his knees. Her painted red lips twitch upwards. Stunning amber eyes twinkle at him.

This must be the wife of the ruler of Ricell. Logan had been told her description before but they had never done her justice. She is a woman closer to fifty than forty and yet her complexion and skin are that of a young thirty year old. Her beautiful brunette hair stops just short of her hips and shimmers different shades under the light pouring in from the windows. She places her hand on one of her hips and tilts her head slightly.

"Manuel," the man to his left bows his head to her, "You may leave." He frowns and glances down at Logan. He opens his mouth in protest but words do not spill out. He must follow her orders for fear of punishment. Her eyes narrow and her long fingers tap against her side. "Is there a problem?" She asks sweetly.

"My Lady," he starts quietly, "This man is dangerous and has killed your..."

She raises her hand, a look of fury slotting into place. He stops short and colour rises to his cheeks. "I have been told by my crying daughter. I told you to leave, that is an order." With a clenched jaw he bows and turns to walk out. "With all of your men." They share confused looks and he halts and turns back around. Logan keeps his expression serene, watching and learning.

"My Lady..."

"He is surrounded by enemy warriors, he is a Usani and he loves my daughter. I doubt he will run and if he is foolish enough to, then he will not get far. Take your men and go, unless you wish to accompany him in the dungeons." Voice still sweet but none of the men broker an argument. One by one they leave the room and close the doors behind them.

Her amber eyes study Logan and a soft smile crosses her lips. "You may rise." Slowly he rises to his feet and warily watches her. This act of hers does not convince him. "Which one of the Usani brothers are you?"

"Logan."

"No my lady? You do not wish to give me respect?"

"Aileen." Her eyebrows raise and a smirk lands on her dark red lips. "I do not wish to play games. I am surprised your husband did not wish to be present to question me."

"Question you? Why would he wish to question you? My sons say you murdered Jasiel, your word is irrelevant." Her words stay level and no emotions are expressed. Logan tilts his head slightly to the side. "He will arrive when he is informed." Reading Logan's questioning look she continues, "I intercepted the warriors and my daughter. He does not know yet, I wished to speak with you first."

"Why?"

"You do not look like a murderer." Her lips part then she presses them back together. With a sigh she says something different to what she was thinking. "You are close to your brothers and I believe Wolfe would protect you with everything he owns. A war would not be beneficial for either of us." 

"So what do you suggest we do?"

"I suggest you tell me if you killed my son." Her eyes flick to his clothes, still covered in Jasiel's blood. Unknown to Logan, she bites her tongue until the metallic taste fills her mouth.