Chapter IX

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

He lets out a sound of exasperation as the lock almost becomes undone before clicking soundly back into place.

"You do not think they might have noticed that I held a blade in my cheeks, and perhaps if they did not, I could have swallowed it and killed myself when they drugged me."

He pauses and withdraws the two small thin blades from the lock and leans back on his heels. He is surprised at the venom in his brother's voice. "I apologise, brother." He utters quietly, unused to saying such words. Logan softens and runs a hand across his face.

"I never thought I would hear those words fall from your mouth, Hunter. Today should be marked in history." He chuckles and Hunter shakes his head. He peers into the lock and his face transforms into a grimace. "You are unable to pick it, are you not?"

"If you had not got yourself in this mess, I would not need to pick a lock to the Ricell dungeon, would I?" came the snappy reply. Logan remains silent and Hunter flickers his eyes to him. He sucks in a breath when he sees just how little flesh is on his brother's bones and how he needs the wall to keep him standing. "It is more difficult than I thought it would be. It may take some time." He sets to work again.

"Does Wolfe know that you are here?"

Hunter's jaw sets and his focuses intently on the lock, making it appear that he is listening carefully. Logan clears his throat loudly. "No." The answer finally comes and Hunter acts as if the word never left his mouth.

"You are here without Wolfe's permission?"

"He is my brother, not my keeper. I will do what I wish." Hunter replies, his voice dropping several degrees.

"He is also your Lord and leader. You do know that he is here, that he has brought an army."

"Of course I do. Who do you think chose and prepared the men?" Hunter chews on his lip and he meddles with the blades, a sign of victory in his eyes as the lock clicks. Not yet unlocked but getting there. Logan slowly makes his way over to the bars and touches Hunter's arm. Hunter jumps and his eyes flash with annoyance. All his good work with the lock is undone. "Why did you do that?" He growls. "Do you really want to be executed for a murder I can only assume you did not do?"

"Why does Wolfe not know that you are here?" Logan remains calm, unwilling to rise to Hunter's challenge.

"If he knew then I could not help you escape. He will sign an agreement promising to not help you escape in order to see you. That is what will happen. If he goes back on his word there will be war. So he is not to be involved. I am not under his orders and I can help you. He knows nothing and he cannot be blamed. Do you understand now?" Logan nods slowly. Hunter satisfied that Logan will not interrupt again sets to the lock again.

"Who did Wolfe convince to marry him?" Logan asks, the question springing to his mind. Hunter laughs shortly and shakes his head.

"I forgot you would not know. Sparrow is his wife, she returned to our lands after hearing of your predicament and with the knowledge that Wolfe was about to marry another. Now would you be quiet?!"

Silence falls and Hunter concentrates intently. Finally the lock unclicks fully and he pulls the door open. He steps within and makes his way to Logan. He pulls Logan's arm over his shoulders and wraps his other arm around Logan to help him stand. He slowly helps him to the door but is shocked when Logan plants his feet into the ground forcing them to stop. He shoots a questioning look his way, then realises he should voice his confusion. "You do want to escape your death, do you not?"