Chapter V

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

She lets out a sound of exasperation when she realises he has walked all the way through his cottage and out the back door. Tommy appears before her and lets out a yelp of excitement. She pushes his head out of the way and jogs down to the shed that he must have gone to. She knocks on that door and hears another thud and more words muttered under his breath. The wooden door swings open and he frowns, his crystal blue eyes flicking from her head to her feet. He raises one eyebrow before looking over his shoulder. Deciding that whatever is inside is not for her eyes, he steps out and closes the door behind him. Dawn hurriedly steps out of his way, fighting the urge to roll her eyes.

He marches once again back to his cottage. "Frederick, what are you doing?" His shoulders tighten and he swings round, narrowly missing hitting her in the face with the giant leather bound book he still carries. Again she steps back and pulls a face at him.

"Why are you here and why do you use that horrific name." He groans. "My brother is not here and will not be here until later."

"I want two letters delivered." He has already started to walk away at her first word but stops when the whole sentence is processed in his mind. He swings around again and she was wise enough to stay stood where she was. His eyes flick to the two rolled up letters in her hand. He tilts his head.

"You want letters delivered. To who exactly?"

"One needs to go to the Usani manor, the other to the Iceni manor." She carefully says. He purses his lips and taps his fingers against his side.

"As far as I am aware you do not know anyone from either of those lands. Is this something to do with the Usani murderer?" His eyebrows raise and a smirk lifts on his lips. "Are you doing something you should not be, Dawn?"

"Do not look so smug, Frederick." His smirk drops at the name. "It does not suit you. Will your brother deliver these letters or not?"

"Of course I will." A man identical in looks to Frederick appears in riding gear. He smiles brightly at Dawn before clipping the back of his brother's head. Frederick glares at him and rights his glasses.

"You really want to ride such a long journey for just two letters for her?" Frederick asks his tone disbelieving.

"I am already heading to Usani. Gavriel has given me a letter to hand personally to a Hunter. Another letter will not slow me down and if I do not wish to ride to Iceni I can give the job to another in Usani." He places his arm around Dawn's shoulders and pulls her into her side. She shrivels up her nose and pulls away from him.

"You absolutely stink. I think you should wash before you ride out again." He laughs and glances at his brother. His laugh dies in his throat.

"Please tell me you are not still doing your experiments, it is not real work." Frederick rolls his eyes and walks away, locking himself in his shed. Benjamin runs his fingers through his hair with some irritation before turning his attention back to Dawn. He holds out his hand and she places the letters in it. "How are the family doing?"

"I have not seen Kier or Aileen to know but the siblings are coping strangely. How did Gavriel seem to you?"

"He seemed happy." Benjamin presses his lips together and grimaces. "That is probably not the right word. I do not think he and Jasiel agreed on much and there was always so much competition there. He may be happier to have that gone. But they were brothers, maybe he is just hiding how he feels."

"Maybe." She repeats, doubt in her tone. "Wait, why is he sending a letter to a hunter?"

"Not a hunter, a man called Hunter. He told me I will find him residing in the Usani manor." Benjamin shrugs and with a hand at her waist guides her back towards the cottage. Inside he moves away from her and pours himself a glass of water. Dawn hangs back, her eyes drawn to the garden through the window. "How are you doing?" She starts and warily regards him. He chuckles. "You grew up with him. You were as much his sister as Zara is."