Chapter XX

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Hunter wakes up to an empty room. His vision blurs and shatters as he pushes himself up with his arms. He takes a few moments until the pain dulls and he does not feel like he will stand and stumble. He walks carefully out of the room and knocks on Leo and Jag's room door. They open it and Leo looks disapprovingly down at him. The smell of strong spirit wafts from Hunter's mouth. Even his clothes smell of alcohol. Hunter pushes past him, unwilling to give any sort of explanation. He does not miss Leo shaking his head in disgust, his mouth pinched together. He avoids looking to see Jag's reaction but instead focuses on Logan.

Logan nostrils flare a little and his jaw tightens. Hunter pauses, he did not realise the stench of whiskey and a multitude of other drinks had stuck to him so powerfully. Logan shifts, biting his tongue so not to speak. He wants to give Hunter a chance to come clean. He wants to hear the words come out before he makes any accusations. Hunter is his brother and even though they had not always seen eye to eye, he does not believe his brother would purposely put him in any danger. He has to believe that Hunter did what he had to for a good reason. If only he will come clean now.

Hunter finally lets his gaze go to Jag. Jag looks blankly at him. Hunter grinds his teeth. He feels like he has walked into a trap and his head will not stop pounding. He cannot show as such though, they must believe that he is still thinking with a good clear mind. He has to convince them of something, something he knows that they will all vehemently disagree with. If only Wolfe had not sent them along. Hunter knows he can convince his brother, but them two? It makes everything much harder.

Leo clears his throat and Logan's stomach rumbles. He pulls a face and a slight smile lifts Hunter's lips. Logan smiles a little back. "They never brought up dinner last night." Logan offers as an explanation.

Jag rolls his eyes and he studies Hunter who shifts his weight every few seconds without seeming to realise it. "You look like you have something to say." Hunter hears Jag's words and knows now he must do what he can.

"I think we should return to the Ricell's manor." The moment those words leave his mouth Jag bounds to his feet and Leo makes a loud sound of disbelief.

"You must still be drunk." Jag finally says. Hunter shakes his head, his dark eyes flashing. "Why would we return to the Ricell's? They were about to kill your brother!" Hunter bites down on the words 'half-brother' knowing that they will not help his argument.

Leo places a large hand down on Hunter's shoulder as he sees him take a threatening step towards Jag. It secures him in place. "You should sleep the alcohol out of your system. You are not thinking straight." He calmly speaks. Hunter shakes his hand of his shoulder and steps away from him, a decidedly stubborn expression taking over.

"I am not drunk! I do not need to sleep anything off. And I do not need you to tell me of what they were going to do to Logan! I was the one who got him out of there, not either of you two so come down off of your high horses!" He growls at them both, his eyes narrowing.

"Then what possesses you to say we should return there?" Jag snarls back.

"Do you think I was down there drinking for the sake of it?" Hunter continues to growl out his words. "I was listening out for information." He does not see Logan's eyes narrow the tiniest little bit. "I heard news that will set Logan free from running but we have to return."

"So what did you hear?" Leo asks in his deep baritone voice. Jag shakes his head, believing that this conversation should not even be taking place. The Ricells were going to kill Logan; nothing should make them wish to return.

"Gavriel and his father have been poisoned but live. Gethin Ricell was found responsible and it is the same poison that killed Jasiel. Logan's name is cleared, but we have to return to make sure that it will be done and that no war will ensue on his behalf." Hunter pulls his tone back to a calm one.