Chapter XXIX

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Dawn focuses her gaze on Tommy while she relates what she remembers from that day. "It was very soon after Wolfe and Sparrow came. Everyone was running around like headless chickens. I happened to stop in the doorway of a room that was as dark as it could be. Gethin was stood there speaking with a man." Dawn's voice falters and Logan frowns in concern. "It seemed like the man worked for him, gathering information for him. Gethin even seemed a little afraid of him for when the man spoke he quietened considerably."

"And you believe this man to be my brother?" He asks quietly, his voice low and soft.

"He told me if I described him I would regret it." Her eyes flicker downwards and Logan can tell she is truly afraid. He reaches across and takes her free hand. Gently he traces circles across the back of her hand in a soothing gesture.

"I will not let anything happen to you. Your words will go no further than this. He will never find out." He tries to assure her. She nods slightly and exhales slowly, gathering her courage.

"He was tall and muscular. His hair was inky black and there was no colour in his eyes whatsoever. His voice was deep and strong and he seemed to reject authority." As she describes the man, Logan's face clouds over. If he was to ever describe his brother this would be the gist of it. "He was fast, I barely blinked and he was gone. I thought for sure when I saw Hunter taking you from the dungeons he was the same man. It was why I feared for your life." Dawn glances up at him and sees that his eyes have dulled. "Logan." She turns her hand over in his and grips onto his hand. "I think I was wrong."

"What makes you say that?"

"Hunter does not speak like him and his eyes have blue in them. I am not frightened of Hunter; I was terrified of that man. Surely your brother would not betray you or your family like that? He cares for you; that is obvious." Dawn tries to persuade him but Logan shakes his head.

"You have described Hunter so perfectly. There is only blue when he is happy or at peace. Otherwise his eyes are pitch black and deadly. He would threaten you without a thought. And his voice, well I know he is well adapted at changing it when it pleases him."

"That does not make him guilty!" Dawn exclaims and withdraws her hand. She rises to her feet and Logan's eyes follow her. "I do not believe he could possibly work for Gethin." A throat is cleared behind her and she jumps. She stumbles backwards at the sight of a man enshrouded in a black cloak. "You?" Her voice shakes with nerves.

Logan jumps to his feet and manoeuvres her behind him. The man chuckles and pushes his hood down and tilts his head so he can look around Logan to Dawn. Logan sighs a little at Hunter's amused grin. He does not move aside though and keeps giving Dawn some protection. When this dawns on Hunter his nose crinkles. He straightens up and crosses his arms. "Did I miss something?" He questions, his eyes slipping from Logan to Dawn and back again.

"Do you work for Gethin?" Logan quickly demands an answer. Hunter coughs and laughs a little before realising his brother is serious.

"Why on earth would I ever work for Gethin?"

"Just answer the question." Logan commands.

Hunter looks at Dawn who seems to be extremely nervous. "What did you say to my brother?"

Logan blocks his vision of her and Hunter warily steps back. "Do not try and threaten her again."

"I have never threatened her before in my life and I do not work for Gethin. Where have these stupid ideas come from?" Logan shifts slightly as his brother's eyes rest on him and his irises are blue. He is being sincere but they are clouding over with irritation.