Chapter X

Dedicated to @randomsweetstuff for the awesome cover shown above!

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The daylight hits his eyes and he stumbles, his knees colliding sharply with the stone steps. He stifles the cry from his lips as agony shoots up his thighs into his hips. The two men by his side heave him back to his feet, muttering angrily under their breath. Logan forces his head up, he will not cower. As much as he wants to, he cannot walk unassisted and each step tires him. After another stumble and a glance downwards, they curse him. They call him a murderer and a coward and question why he is still alive. Blood seeps from his torn knees and drips steadily down his legs.

They bring him outside and the sun presses down on him. He closes his eyes momentarily so that when he opens them the glare is not so harsh. Many men stand around, all of their faces angry and still clouded with grief. Logan finds it difficult to meet their gazes. It is such a deep hatred rooted in all of them and it rolls off them in waves. Logan is number one enemy and no one could possibly doubt it. The grip on his arms tightens as the two men push forward, sending warning glances to a few whose fists clench as he passes.

Then he sees a familiar face, yet not so familiar. White blonde hair forms like a halo around her, the sun spreading blondes into it. Her mouth parts slowly and she pushes her way to the front, ignoring the men who frown down at her. She licks her lip and turns to a man by her side. She whispers hurriedly to him and receives an answer. Understanding dawns in her eyes. She watches him with sadness. He passes her and he feels her eyes follow him. He does not look back. He cannot draw attention to her.

They drag him up the steps to the manor where the guards at the door scowl openly at him. They quickly move to open the doors and he is dragged inside. Logan finds his footing and, with great effort, manages to stand tall. The men chuckle darkly at his side and pick up their pace, knowing it will make him struggle to keep to what he intends to do. Doors ahead of them open to the great hall. They hurry through and stop once inside.

A gasp falls from someone's mouth and Logan searches for the source of the noise. His eyes scan past Lord Kier and Lady Aileen who look down their noses at him, disgust clearly evident. Gethin and Gavriel speak between themselves, the only sign they know he is has been brought in is that they refuse to look his way.

Then his eyes fall on her and they stick. Tears shine in her eyes but she does not let them fall. Her red hair is weaved intricately around her head, held up and away her slender shoulders. Her grey eyes, framed by thick black lashes, do not waver from him. She was the source of the noise. She was not able to hide her shock quickly enough. Seeing how being in the dungeons has affected him pulled on her heart strings. Seeing him again brought so many feelings rushing back. As if drawn by an invisible string she steps towards him. Logan holds his breath.

His name forms on her tongue. He waits to hear it from the voice he has spent so many nights dreaming about. If only she can give him a chance, he thinks. All she needs to do is hear him out. Her lips part as she takes another step forward, the pull too strong to care if her family find her behaviour odd. "Lo..." his name is cut off as someone takes her hand and she turns back, the connection severed.

Logan looks to the man. Tall with black hair and dark brown eyes. Jealousy tears at him. This man is able to simply reach out and take his Siren's arm. He has now completely captured her attention. With steady, patient hands he guides her back to her earlier spot. His hand falls to hold her waist when they stop and his fingers curl inwards, keeping her in place. She chooses to remain, even putting her hand over his. The man's eyes flick over to Logan's. His expression remains blank but he whispers soothing words to Zara.