Chapter XXX

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Would you please attempt to look less like you would like to disappear?" Hunter mumbles under his breath, half scowling at his brother trying to shrink back and out of sight. They stand within the Ricell manor in one of the larger halls. Many have been invited despite the short notice and so they are surrounded on all sides.

 Hunter stands confident and at ease, his dark gaze scanning the crowd. Logan is significantly less so. He shifts uncomfortable; there are far too many people. At home he avoided any public events. This is ten times worse. These are people he does not know. These are people who still regard him with a tinge of disgust.

"Logan." Hunter grinds out and pinches his brother's arm. Logan shoots him a scowl, his face pale. Hunter sighs softly and keeps eye contact. "Pretend that they are just Wolfe, Bear and Bronco on all sides. Pretend Sparrow is here with Tilly and Lilly. You can get through this." Logan provides a half smile at his brother's efforts at making him comfortable. Hunter knows it has not done much good as his brother's eyes anxiously roam around. "Talk to me." He says lowly.

"Could she not have made this announcement outside where there is space?" Logan manages to get out, he feels like his lungs are grasping for air. 

Hunter glances to the high platform at the end of the room. None of the Ricell family has arrived yet. With a roll of the eyes he grabs Logan's arm and pulls him off to the side, pushing those who do not immediately move out of the way. They mutter angrily but do nothing to retaliate. They get to the outskirts of the crowd and he pushes Logan to the wall and stands in front of him, his back to the crowd.

"You can breathe, tell me you can breathe."

"I can breathe." Logan replies and his breathing does seem to be returning to normal. Hunter half chuckles and shakes his head. He never thought he would be the one to do this. But then again, Logan would usually avoid this kind of situation like he would the plague. Too many people, too close together, it is a recipe for a disaster. Logan's breathing shudders and he squeezes his eyes closed. Hunter frowns. This is more extreme than he remembers Logan ever being.

"Talk to me." He orders, trying to keep his voice calming. He winces at it comes out wrong.

"I think I would prefer to be back in that cell right now." He says under his breath and Hunter eyebrows rise up. He must be feeling insanely uncomfortable if the thought of the cell is better than being here.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" Her voice carries across the room without losing volume. Logan lifts his head and nods at Hunter. He moves to his side and they both face the same way as everyone else. Logan feels some of the tension leave his body and he knows he can get through this. Or at least he can get through it long enough to hear the announcement. Then he may have to get out as quickly as possible. "Thank you for gathering here today."

Lord Kier stands beside her with his wife Lady Aileen. They smile out at the crowd. Gavriel stands to her other side but a few steps back. He crosses his arms, his expression barely hiding his disapproval. It is a strange sight to see the Ricell family all stood together with a marked difference. Obviously Gethin does not stand with them, nor does he stand in the crowd. It has set off a few whispers here and there. Of course rumours have been floating around but there was no concrete evidence as of yet. The Ricell family had kept it fairly quiet and the servants were warned severely about telling anyone.

She searches faces and a slight crinkle appears on her forehead. She cannot see him. He is not near the front and she cannot find him in the midst of everyone else. Hunter chuckles quietly and considers raising his hand to alert her to where they stand. The darkness in him refuses; it is having too much fun watching her struggle. Logan however does not have that problem and moves forward a little so the light from the window shines in on him. He does this despite the growing tightness in his chest.